cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elkolorado
Frequent Visitor

Width of screen corrupted [urgent]

Hi,
I didn't changed a thing, and few of my screen layouts got completely destroyed, due to some update of Power Apps I suppose...

Width of screen disappeared, and the layout was compressed to some line. After rearranging the proper width, the layout is destroyed, as all other elements inside that screen also have width set to nothing.

elkolorado_0-1617728335415.png

This happened to multiple (6) of my screens that contain around 50 elements of each.

Please revert this, as I don't have time to deal with downloading package, changing JSON data and patching the package myself as shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HLLF2ZRaXc.

My appID: 46ae0a46-0394-4f44-b444-7a1793755672

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Here are some mitigation steps you can try until MS can post a solution.

Steps to Self-Mitigate

Using a Previous Studio Version

Depending on when the user last saved their app, they may be able to use a previous version of the studio to fix their issue.

1. In the Portal (make.powerapps.com ), go to the list of apps. Select the "More commands" button for the affected app and select "Details"
    •  

2. In the versions tab, look at the "Power Apps release" column. Verify that either:
    a. The newest Version of the app has a Power Apps release of 3.21032.0 or lower (eg: 3.21031.0, 3.21025.0, 3.21024.0, etc...)
    b. You are willing to revert to a version of the app that has a release of 3.21032.0 or lower. In this case, select the "More Commands" button for that version of the app and choose "Restore"
    • If neither of the previous two apply, the user must use the ALM tool (see below) or wait for the official fix to roll out.
  3. Navigate to https://create.powerapps.com/v3.21032.45.181423928/studio/#noRegionRedirect 
  4. Go to Open > Power Apps (Browse Power Apps) > Select the affected app
  5. Select the affected screen in the tree view (it should appear normally).
  6. Switch the properties pane (right side pane) to "Advanced". Check that the Height and Width properties are not blank. If they are, enter these values:
    • For a blank Height, set the formula to Max(App.Height, App.MinScreenHeight).
    • For a blank Width, set the formula to Max(App.Width, App.MinScreenWidth).
  7. Save the app.

The app can now be opened in the latest version of the studio.

Using the ALM tool

This guide assumes that the user has never used the ALM tool (PowerApps-Lanuage-Tooling). If they have, skip to step 5.

1. Download the ALM tool from the github repository as a zip file  and unpack to the Downloads folder.
    •  

•  

2. Download and install the .NET Core SDK 3.1 .
  3. Open a command prompt and navigate to the extracted folder.
    • Eg: the command is cd C:\Users\bryue\Downloads\PowerApps-Language-Tooling-master for my downloads folder
  4. Run the command .\build.cmd. The command prompt will show "Build succeeded" when complete.
    • Keep this command prompt open for later.
    •  

5. Export the affected app. Due to the nature of this issue, users cannot use "Save as" in the studio and must export a "known good" version of the app via the portal.
    a. In the Portal (make.powerapps.com ), go to the list of apps. Select the "More commands" button for the affected app and select "Details"

b. Switch to the versions tab. Select a known good version of the app and select "Restore". Note that any version of the app that was saved or auto-saved while the issue is present should NOT be used. At this point, DO NOT open the app in the studio.
    c. Now select "Export package" for the app.
    d. Give the package any name you'd like and select "Export" in the bottom-right corner. The package will be downloaded to your computer.
  6. Extract the downloaded .zip file
  7. Find the .msapp file in the extracted package. You should be able to type .msapp in the search bar.
    •  

8. Copy the file to your Downloads folder and rename it to something a little more convenient, eg: BrokenApp.msapp
  9. In the command prompt window run the following command, replacing <Username>:
    • .\bin\Debug\PASopa\PASopa.exe -unpack C:\Users\<Username>\Downloads\BrokenApp.msapp
    • This will create a folder called BrokenApp_src in your Downloads.
  10. In File Explorer, navigate to BrokenApp_src\Src\ (components will be in the Components folder) and open the file with the name of the affected screen.
    • If prompted, open the file with Notepad (any text editor will work).
  11. Near the very top of the file are the properties for the Screen. Look for lines containing Width: = or Height: = and delete those lines. Note: Only delete the lines directly under Screen1 as Screen:.
    • Example: Before and after

Screen1 as Screen:    BackgroundImage: ='Background'    Width: =    Height: =    Fill: =    OnVisible: |-        =UpdateContext({now: Now()});Screen1 as Screen:    BackgroundImage: ='Background'    Fill: =    OnVisible: |-        =UpdateContext({now: Now()});

1. Save the file.
  2. Repeat steps 10 & 11 & 12 for any other affected screen/component.
  3. In the command prompt, run the following command, replacing <Username>:
    • .\bin\Debug\PASopa\PASopa.exe -pack C:\Users\<Username>\Downloads\FixedApp.msapp C:\Users\<Username>\Downloads\BrokenApp_src\
  4. The file FixedApp.msapp can be opened in the Studio.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365EduCon in Chicago on Sept. 26-30 where I'll be presenting on the Power Platform!

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

I've seen several people report this, but it is far from everyone.  I would suggest opening a support ticket to get it resolved for you.

Join me at 365EduCon in Chicago on Sept. 26-30 where I'll be presenting on the Power Platform!
bcampbell13
Advocate II
Advocate II

I can confirm I'm having a similar issue.  It may be be everyone, but I would guess many have not tried to editor there app today.  Something was definitely done created a problem for some "unknown" set of users.  Very frustrating.

I agree that its frustrating.  But I've seen posts from a few users for about a week now.  The point is that its not everyone so there is nothing we can really do for you here in the forums.  Its something MS has to look at from the inside.  To do that they need specific cases.  That's why a support ticket is important.

BrianCCampbell
Resolver I
Resolver I

I too have this happen to one of my PowerApps that I edit every day (getting ready to release but not used by others yet). This started for me either 4/3 or 4/4 or earlier and I just want on a screen that was affected. All of my screens use components and not all are affected - but almost half are. I also noticed I was seeing "Invalid operation divisible by zero" errors show up and they were cascading and incrementing higher when the app was open. I found the other thread with that error and changed my logic to include an if statement if the count of something in the denominator could possibly be zero. Even after these updates, it had no effect on the problem of the width. 

I did some troubleshooting, but it all comes down to the fact that the component in a screen has a width and height of Zero. Even after changing the width or height to another value - when leaving the field it would revert to Zero. When looking at the components themselves in the components section, they have the proper height and width specified. I created a new screen and tried to insert a component and it. came in with Zero height and Zero width. 

I created a new app, imported the components from the problem app and it only imported 6 of the 9 components. (no error - just left 3 of them out).  I then exported the components from the problem app and imported to the test app and all came in. When adding a component to the screen it adds but lists "No Value" for the width and height despite the formula for both being app.designheight and app.designwidth. Changing the value for height and width to the real numerical value makes the component appear as expected.

The problem app and the test app are the only apps I have in this environment and the environment has the settings enabled to run the GeoSpatial Maps. 

I have another powerapp in production in a separate (default) environment that also uses components but I have not edited so it doesn't appear to have any issues.

It's also ironic that @bcampbell13 is having issues as I think we possibly share the same name.

I will submit a support ticket to see if I get any traction.

MS is aware of the issue and support can suggest some workarounds for the immediate future.  A fix has been identified and should roll out in the next week or two.

bcampbell13
Advocate II
Advocate II

@Pstork1 ,

One to two weeks, that is really very painful.   Microsoft has a reputation of their users being the testers, and I have to say with PowerApps, it really feels like this is the case.  

This has happened several times.  How do they expect companies to embrace this technology and rely on when they create outages like this.  My dev team lost the entire day.  Waiting two weeks is painful.  Every time you touch a component, it resets them in the app, every occurrence of them.  The component frame work is great in concept, but pretty less then great in reality.

Really disappointing from a company such as Microsoft.

Did you open a support ticket?  I can forward the number to someone I know on the team to get it escalated.

BrianCCampbell
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @Pstork1 @yes I did. The ticket number is 

2104060040007229. Thanks for your help in this. 

elkolorado
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Pstork1 thank you for reply.
As Brian mentioned, if you try to set the width of screen to a proper function it does that, but then the components width is still 0, and while trying to set width and X-position on Properties tab from 0 to what it supposed to be (that information is saved inside Advanced Tab still) it goes back to 0, but after you choose different value it sets properly. But at the point where I have 4 screens not working with 20+ components setting all of this manually is no-go in terms of the time and deadlines.

I also raised a ticket to Microsoft about this.
Ticket number: 

Thank you for your patience

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (2,020)