cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonMillerUK
Level: Powered On

Windows PowerApps Player - is it getting updated any time soon?

The Windows PowerApps Player doesn’t seem to have been updated for at least 6 months and there are a number of key issues with it that are making this really problematic.

Ideally I’d just use browser but offline use on Surface Pro is key requirement and for that I need SaveData/LoadData and thus the PowerApps Player.

Since about May 2018 I’ve observed a number of issues that I’m constantly having to work around as the PowerApps Studio version increases and the now out of date Windows Player isn’t able to cope. Improved App Rendering is a key one - as is the inability to actually open downloaded apps when the device is offline (blank screen). 

I logged a call ages ago and was told it was being “worked on” but nothings happened. What’s going on here? When PowerApps Studio was moved to web, did Microsoft forget that there was a whole other use case for the Windows app that has now been left to the way side?

Anyone know of any sort of roadmap for the Windows PowerApps Player so I can manage expectations and workarounds where needed.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Windows PowerApps Player - is it getting updated any time soon?

Hi @JonMillerUK,

Do you want to use PowerApps Studio for Windows on your side as before?

Currently, within PowerApps, the authoring experience in PowerApps Studio desktop has been deprecated at June 1st 2018, the PowerApps Studio for Windows is still used to play/run an app.

More details about the updates in PowerApps Studio desktop, please check the following blog:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-studio-for-the-web-is-generally-available-for-p...

If you want the PowerApps Studio desktop functionality to be improved/updated, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Fourm:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @JonMillerUK,

Do you want to use PowerApps Studio for Windows on your side as before?

Currently, within PowerApps, the authoring experience in PowerApps Studio desktop has been deprecated at June 1st 2018, the PowerApps Studio for Windows is still used to play/run an app.

More details about the updates in PowerApps Studio desktop, please check the following blog:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powerapps-studio-for-the-web-is-generally-available-for-p...

If you want the PowerApps Studio desktop functionality to be improved/updated, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Fourm:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

JonMillerUK

I don't agree that this is an accepted solution at all. 

As you will note from original post, this is not about authoring at all - purely about the Windows desktop *Player* no longer functioning correctly as advances in PowerApps Studio (Web) progress.

The latest issue I now have with Windows desktop player is that apps published with the latest version of Studio don't appear to work with LoadData at all anymore... this is unbelievable

Highlighted
beans

Hello @JonMillerUK ,

Is Load Data still an issue with the Windows desktop player.  I was looking to use the Windows desktop player for creating offline mode apps.  

Thanks

Bina

JonMillerUK

Hi Bina,

That one was resolved via a PowerApps Studio update. There are, however, still limitations that desperately need a Windows update. I have heard one is coming though so fingers are crossed!

Jon

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,984)