cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnbradbury
Helper I
Helper I

Working with Solutions (Development and Publishing Methodology)

Good evening.

I'm currently trying to build a full IT Service Management solution in PowerApps. Things are going well but I'm looking for some advice around how I should be developing this and managing components.

At the moment I'm working in a single solution, exporting and then publishing as a managed solution. However I'm wondering whether or not I should be breaking down the application into sections, working on those and exporting as a managed solution. For example this could be a list of solutions:

• ITSM_Incident_Module
  • ITSM_Request_Module
  • ITSM_Change_Module
  • ITSM_Problem_Module
  • ITSM_CustomerPortal_Module
  • ITSM_VirtualAgent_Module
  • ITSM_CMDB_Module

This would obviously limit risk around updates, but possibly complicate matters in terms of inter-solution dependencies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @johnbradbury,

Are you building this solution for internal use, or as an ISV solution to be put on the marketplace such as AppSource? 

If you're building it for internal use only, I would lean on the side of simplicity and use minimal amount of solutions where possible.

Using multiple solutions will greatly increase the complexity of your build/deployment pipelines, and you need to take greater care when managing dependencies between the solutions.

@ScottDurow would have some better insight if you're planning to package this up as an ISV solution and use AppSource to push out to customers.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisPiasecki
Super User
Super User

Hi @johnbradbury,

Are you building this solution for internal use, or as an ISV solution to be put on the marketplace such as AppSource? 

If you're building it for internal use only, I would lean on the side of simplicity and use minimal amount of solutions where possible.

Using multiple solutions will greatly increase the complexity of your build/deployment pipelines, and you need to take greater care when managing dependencies between the solutions.

@ScottDurow would have some better insight if you're planning to package this up as an ISV solution and use AppSource to push out to customers.

---
Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. This will help others find solutions to similar questions. If you like my post and/or find it helpful, please consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

johnbradbury
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks for taking the time to reply, this is really useful. The solution we're looking to build is for internal use only so we won't need to publish this to a storefront.

There appears to be a lack of clarity around the best approach to solutions in the documentation and online. We appreciate that working with multiple solutions could create dependencies, but the idea of managing such a large application build in a single solution is daunting. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,171)