Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Working with large SharePoint lists

Hi All,

I have a SharePoint list with approx. 900,000 items. I have a unique code column in the list and I need to show items in gallery using this unique code. For each unique code there are only 50 records, so I will always get maximum of 50 records in gallery.

I have indexed the columns, do you think I will face delegate problem?

No CDS due to budget constraints so it has to be SharePoint.

Please guide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@jinivthakkar 

If the unique code is something that you will filter on with an exact match - 

ex.  Filter(yourList, uniqueCodeColumn = "uniqueCode")

You will be fine.

You can go so far as to also get other results based on the root of the unique code (first x digits).

Filter(yourList, StartsWith(uniqueCodeColumn, "uniqueCode"))

As long as all return les than the record limit you have set in your app, you are fine.  And as long as you are doing delegable functions.

You have a limit of 30 million items in a list in SharePoint - so as long as you're within that, you're good.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @jinivthakkar ,

As you know PowerApp can retrieve only 2000K rows max.

but like for your List having large data Set. so for this purpose, you can use the Paging concept.
Paging concept For reference - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tBDnxIkJJs&t=1175s.

Thanks,
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted

I always want to retrieve only 50 records using the unique code column value.

Do you think that is still a problem ?

Highlighted

Hi @jinivthakkar ,

In this scenario, see the below approach as per my understanding.

First Approach - 
you can implement the Search functionality where user enter the unique no into text box and Filter the gallery based on entered unique no.

Second Approach.

Use the GroupBy function and Display all the unique no into DropDown / ComboBox,
and Filter the Gallery data based on the Selected value of DropDown/Combobox.

That is my suggestion regarding your problem.

Thanks,
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted

But will I face problem, while getting only 50 records using unique code ?

Highlighted

No...if facing any error mention the Error or screenshot of Error with Code you are using
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@jinivthakkar 

What kind of column is your unique code column?

If that is a delegable column, then you will be able to retrieve the 50 records with a Filter statement.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted

@RandyHayes unique code column is single line of text.

Two questions : 

1 - Will I face issues when list has 900,000 entries(this is data for current year) - Yes/No?

2 - Will I face issues when list has 9,000,000 entries(forecast for 10 years, app is expected to work at least 10 years) - Yes/No?

Thanks !

Highlighted

@jinivthakkar 

If the unique code is something that you will filter on with an exact match - 

ex.  Filter(yourList, uniqueCodeColumn = "uniqueCode")

You will be fine.

You can go so far as to also get other results based on the root of the unique code (first x digits).

Filter(yourList, StartsWith(uniqueCodeColumn, "uniqueCode"))

As long as all return les than the record limit you have set in your app, you are fine.  And as long as you are doing delegable functions.

You have a limit of 30 million items in a list in SharePoint - so as long as you're within that, you're good.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,572)