cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Working with multiple data sources

I have an application that reads a table of open purchase orders from SQL Server.  I want to select one to create a request for testing.  Form the gallery I select the PO I want and move to another form with a data card on it.  The data card contains data from the request management "system" (not in SQL Server yet).  

To facilitate the completion of the sample management form, I need to bring some of the data from the PO table to populate some of the fields in the sample management record I'm trying to create. 

As I want to save the info into a different data source, the form is connected to that and has no visibility into the PO table.

How do I access the selected PO record and stuff values into the sample management record?

Not very clear I know, but . . .

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II

What you're describing is updating the Default / Update properties of the individual cards on the Form.

As long as what you put in there is a valid type/value for the target data source. It should work. The Form will show an error when you SubmitForm, if anything is awry.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/controls/control-card#key-properties

You will need to customize the individual fields/cards on the form that you are looking to bypass. Then you can set the Default (what is shown), and the Update (what is submitted) properties. You will also want to make those fields/cards read-only for the user.

Super User II
Super User II

Hi @sbodell 

I don't want to take anything away from @GarethPrisk 's approach which specifically addresses your question.  However, sometimes trying to modify the out of the box solution can be more difficult than it needs to be.  In such situations (I refer to these as MRTTAW, more trouble than they are worth), I suggest using @Meneghino's approach to create your own form.  The link is https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2017/09/28/powerapps-101-create-your-own-forms/  I suggest that you try it as it will be a great learning experience and having that knowledge will help in the future should you need to create more complex designs.  It was for me when I first started working with PowerApps and that post was a resource that I returned to frequently when i first started designing apps. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (61,013)