Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichelH
Advocate V
Advocate V

Working with the power apps source files, inside the .msapp file

Hello,

Occasionally I'm required to fix something in the source files of the app, because something has happened, that in this case somehow makes that a few datasources remain present in these files, while they are no longer visible in the editor GUI.  When I look at these files, I notice a few things that make me wonder, how the pro's here, deal with that.

E.g. I take the Properties.json of a recent app.

MichelH_0-1646667422196.png

What you see is a mixture of JSON and what I would call quoted JSON. The first part is perfectly readable, the second isn't.

Here is another example of the Templates.json that has a mix of JSON and quoted XML.

MichelH_1-1646667589595.png

Maybe it means I'm not nerdy enough (yet) to have adjusted my source reading abilities, or maybe Visual Studio Code, or another editor can actually handle this mix and match file type.

If the latter is the case, please enlighten me. I would really like to get these files readable in the editor, so correctly formatted, both the JSON and quoted others JSON or XML.

Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Having said this, I do hope Microsoft will stop doing this and separate files, so we have pure files that do not contain other file types in a quoted form. 

And last but not least, why do these datasources appear in the Properties.json, where I would expect these in the References\DataSources.json?

Best regards,
Michel

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (2,656)