cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
efeewfew
Resolver I
Resolver I

Worth converting all my database from SharePoint to MySQL server?

Hello there!

I got around 10 apps with 20 different tables in SharePoint. Is it worth converting all my database from SharePoint to MySQL server?

I got everything working perfect, but sometimes it's slow. Would love to hear your opinions!

Also how much effort is it to convert everything? I basically need to load in all the tables, that shouldn't be too much effort. But what about changing formula's and stuff? (if needed)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @efeewfew ,

The first thing to consider with SQL server is the licencing cost that every user will need for the Premium connector. SQL will clearly have better performance in a lot of instances and greater Delegation capability, but the difference depends a bit on what you are wanting to do. We run a substantial SharePoint operation (300+ lists and 50+ apps) in an office and field-based operation and have managed to do most things satisfactorily, but as I said, your requirements are probably different and may favour SQL.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @efeewfew ,

The first thing to consider with SQL server is the licencing cost that every user will need for the Premium connector. SQL will clearly have better performance in a lot of instances and greater Delegation capability, but the difference depends a bit on what you are wanting to do. We run a substantial SharePoint operation (300+ lists and 50+ apps) in an office and field-based operation and have managed to do most things satisfactorily, but as I said, your requirements are probably different and may favour SQL.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

Thanks for your explanation @WarrenBelz !

I did not know that every user needed premium licence, I thought only the one making the app needed it. Then it's just simply too expensive and I'll stay at SharePoint. Thanks!

timl
Super User
Super User

@efeewfew 

It looks like that with Warren's help, you've found the answer to this question.

In addition to the licensing issue, the comment I would make is that MySQL offers no better delegation support than SharePoint (ie, delegation support for MySQL is not the same as delegation support for Microsoft SQL Server).

There's also a significant limitation in that it doesn't support 'auto increment' primary key columns, and I have a post in the ideas forum about this issue.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/mySQL-and-PostgreSQL-connectors-add-support-for...

Furthermore, you can only access MySQL through the on premise gateway. Therefore, I would not recommend that you convert to MySQL from SharePoint, unless you have a specific need to share data with other applications that depend on MySQL.

PK_Hong
Helper V
Helper V

I do agree with both of them.
So far, the best delegation is Dataverse which is built for PowerApps. MySQL is having "auto-increment" issues as well as RAM issues where you will run out of memory even you have 16GB of RAM.
This had occured to one of my client asking me to use PowerApps to consume data from MySQL. it is easy to consume data from MySQL but the problem is the RAM and Delegation.

Hence, finally, we use node red to migrate data on 2-hourly basis to our Cloud Data services and use Custom Connector to Power Apps where Custom Conenctor (OpenAPI 2.0) has nothing to do with Delegation. It is based on API.
So, if you have colleagues or yourself is good in writing OpenAPI 2.0 (Swagger 2,0), PowerApps allows you to do that.

It is either Par or even faster compare to DataVerse.

Best regards and stay safe.

timl
Super User
Super User

Thanks @PK_Hong for sharing your experience about MySQL RAM issues. It's great to see you back here on the forums!

Hi @timl

Nice to see you all replying to all kind of issues.

I am trying my best to share as most instead of. Answering as most of the answers are here after so many years.

I am moving forward helping building MRP complete apps for manifacutineg and is very busy.

Thanks a lot. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (4,875)