cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenDonahue
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Yet another SharePoint Permissioning Question (same one)

(Same question that has been posted lots before, but I am hoping that something has changed since those older posts.)

How can I allow users to CRUD data in a SharePoint list without giving them permission to directly access the list, even if they have the URL?

Thank you for your help.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
BrianS
Super User
Super User

Shane Young has just done a video about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkGzU2f0CWU&t=2s

If you can live with the users not being able to see the list or using the edit functions in the SharePoint list do a search for SharePoint security and Laura Rogers - she put out a blog post a year or so ago that walks thru a different method than Shane's

View solution in original post

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The Bottom line is that nothing has changed.  It can't be done.  Power Apps is not designed to be a security layer.  There are some potential workarounds, see the post from @BrianS .  But they don't really change the underlying fact that users must have permission to the list or library in SharePoint if you want a full CRUD experience in Power Apps.  Unless Microsoft completely re-writes Power Apps that isn't going to change.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

BrianS
Super User
Super User

The other option is to use Dataverse for Teams if you can work thru the limits of the environment

3 REPLIES 3
BrianS
Super User
Super User

Shane Young has just done a video about this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkGzU2f0CWU&t=2s

If you can live with the users not being able to see the list or using the edit functions in the SharePoint list do a search for SharePoint security and Laura Rogers - she put out a blog post a year or so ago that walks thru a different method than Shane's

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The Bottom line is that nothing has changed.  It can't be done.  Power Apps is not designed to be a security layer.  There are some potential workarounds, see the post from @BrianS .  But they don't really change the underlying fact that users must have permission to the list or library in SharePoint if you want a full CRUD experience in Power Apps.  Unless Microsoft completely re-writes Power Apps that isn't going to change.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

BrianS
Super User
Super User

The other option is to use Dataverse for Teams if you can work thru the limits of the environment

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,533)