cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeeTronSEAM
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Z-order / layer seems to be thrown off when a container is added to screen. Why?

I have a PApp that used a Group for a few "bundles" of controls.  While changing some of those Groups into Containers, I'm seeing that the expected (and previously working) layers (aka Z-order) for the controls is not working as expected.  A control that I expect to be visible is no longer shown after I add a container THAT IS LOWER/BEHIND in the object tree.  It's as if the addition of a container control messes up the rendering.  Has anybody seen this and is there a way to correct this? I.e. am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Here are some screenshots:

DeeTronSEAM_1-1593466038170.png

Moving the NSR3_cntnrTopNavBar slighly forward/up makes the button disappear:

DeeTronSEAM_2-1593466337489.png

Here are the group and container expanded, and the wonky button as the focused control (though it still is not being rendered).

DeeTronSEAM_3-1593466632145.png

HOW can the lower-level/backwards container control be obscuring the control that is SEVERAL orders/layers in front?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DeeTronSEAM
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Followup findings....

DeeTronSEAM_0-1593470700129.png

DeeTronSEAM_1-1593470972371.png

DeeTronSEAM_2-1593471207685.png

So, in summary, it appears that if a set of controls was grouped, and then that group re-ordered in the control/object tree, the original Z-order/layer position info is retained.  AND, if container controls are then added to the screen, PowerApps becomes confused about what Z-order to display the controls in ....or more accurately, it obeys the Z-order as recorded PRIOR to grouping for each control in a group when it compares it to any containers' Z-order REGARDLESS of the position the group is placed/ordered in the PApps Studio control/object tree.  In other words, if you group controls which are in ordinal positions 3, 4, & 9, then put the group in ordinal position 3, you might find that if you add a container control and put it in a position of 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, you'll get the grouped control that was originally position 9 acting like it is still in position 9, even though the tree would show it as being in position 3.3.

Well, THAT was a fun half-day of troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DeeTronSEAM
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

Followup findings....

DeeTronSEAM_0-1593470700129.png

DeeTronSEAM_1-1593470972371.png

DeeTronSEAM_2-1593471207685.png

So, in summary, it appears that if a set of controls was grouped, and then that group re-ordered in the control/object tree, the original Z-order/layer position info is retained.  AND, if container controls are then added to the screen, PowerApps becomes confused about what Z-order to display the controls in ....or more accurately, it obeys the Z-order as recorded PRIOR to grouping for each control in a group when it compares it to any containers' Z-order REGARDLESS of the position the group is placed/ordered in the PApps Studio control/object tree.  In other words, if you group controls which are in ordinal positions 3, 4, & 9, then put the group in ordinal position 3, you might find that if you add a container control and put it in a position of 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8, you'll get the grouped control that was originally position 9 acting like it is still in position 9, even though the tree would show it as being in position 3.3.

Well, THAT was a fun half-day of troubleshooting.

rohsh354
Community Support
Community Support

Hello,

This is good to know.

Thanks for sharing the scenario and the solution.

VswaldBI
Frequent Visitor

Got the same issue and seems there has been no improvement for the last 2 years....And I don't think you can call a re-do a solution....it shouldn't happen in the first place....so disappointed in MS....

Helpful resources

Announcements
October Events

Mark Your Calendars

So many events that are happening this month - don't miss out!

Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Users online (2,869)