Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ElMeSaFeR
Helper IV
Helper IV

add fields items from SQL table view mode

I'm connecting my App with SQL through gateway 

when I add fields to the App I notice all these fields in view mode !

it should me in edit mode and showing the textboxes that I have to use

Annotation 2020-05-22 152726.png

is it normal ? 

what is the best practice in my case ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@ElMeSaFeR 

Please note: you cannot edit items in a form while using a SQL View.  It’s not possible in PowerApps because you are looking at a View not the table itself.

SQL Views are read-only!

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

@mdevaney  is correct. This is not a PowerApps constraint, just how SQL works. If you load data from a view and want to save it back, you can a) use Patch() to update the underlying table(s) or b) pass the updated data to a SQL stored procedure. I do a lot of this type of work in my PowerApps and typically don't use forms myself.

9 REPLIES 9
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@ElMeSaFeR 

Did you add an Edit Form or a Display Form?  You should be adding and Edit Form.

After you added the Edit Form you need to unlock each Card one-by-one.  Its 100% normal.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

eka24
Super User
Super User

Insert two buttons on the form and OnSelect:

Button 1

Newform (YourFlowName)

Button 2

EditForm (YourFlowName)

After clicking on the button the form will change

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

still same!

of course edit form
and the default mode "New"

@ElMeSaFeR 

Did you try my idea?

---

@ElMeSaFeR 

Please note: you cannot edit items in a form while using a SQL View.  It’s not possible in PowerApps because you are looking at a View not the table itself.

SQL Views are read-only!

---

@mdevaney  is correct. This is not a PowerApps constraint, just how SQL works. If you load data from a view and want to save it back, you can a) use Patch() to update the underlying table(s) or b) pass the updated data to a SQL stored procedure. I do a lot of this type of work in my PowerApps and typically don't use forms myself.

@mike528 

@mdevaney 

@eka24 

Thanks for all

that's mean I  have to edit all DataCards (maybe to create custom blank DataCards and add the inputs is better) then use Patch to fill the data into the SQL 

@ElMeSaFeR
Honestly, don't even bother with the form control in this instance.  Just place the controls on the Canvas directly and write a PATCH function

---

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,358)