cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmclaughlin
Helper V
Helper V

attachment will not save to sharepoint list

I have a form that has 2 sharepoint lists, one  a list of requests, one a list of parts.  The part sharepoint list has an attachment.  When the user creates a request and select a part I have a lookup to the part list to pull in the attachment.  I can actually see that in the form. Howerver when I save the request the attachment does not save to the request list.  Any ideas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@dmclaughlin \

Doesn't even need to be that complicated.

Basically what you will do in the flow (in basic-speak, not specific) is get the record you want, then do an Apply To Each for the Attachments of that record.  In the Apply To Each, you will get the attachment content, and then add the attachment to the other record.  

You shouldn't need to create any arrays or anything else.  Just those steps should work fine.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@dmclaughlin 

You cannot copy attachments from one record to another by referencing the attachments like that.  You either need to have the user attach them, or enlist the help of PowerAutomate to transfer the attachments.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

dmclaughlin
Helper V
Helper V

wow.. powerapps really needs some improvements

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@dmclaughlin 

Attachments have always been weak.  There are a lot of moving parts to consider on it. 

So I wrote a power automate.  Got the attachment from the one list and added attachment to the other list and did update  item.. Worked great.  But sometimes I have multiple attachments that need to go from 1 list to the other.  So I created an attachment array,  got the attachments from the one list appending to that array. But now I'm stuck.  How do I update the other list?  The update item doesn't have a place for the attachment.  I cant use the add attachment like I did if just 1 attachment because its an array.  Ideas?

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@dmclaughlin \

Doesn't even need to be that complicated.

Basically what you will do in the flow (in basic-speak, not specific) is get the record you want, then do an Apply To Each for the Attachments of that record.  In the Apply To Each, you will get the attachment content, and then add the attachment to the other record.  

You shouldn't need to create any arrays or anything else.  Just those steps should work fine.

View solution in original post

dmclaughlin
Helper V
Helper V

Randy, so can you peak at my example attached.  I was doing what you described already but it only pulls in the 1 attachment not all.   Do you see where I'm going wrong?

dmclaughlin
Helper V
Helper V

IT WORKS! I just needed to get my looping in the right spot to get multiple attachments to be added to the 2nd list.!!!!!!!!!tx

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (3,030)