Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

behaviour different in LIVE mode vs edit play mode for gallery and drop down

Anyone encounter the drop down list with a relation to a gallery filter working differently in LIVE mode than in edit play mode?


DataSource: Excel

I have a Service Family drop down list which is linked to Gallery 6 (ServiceList).  Dropdown default set to "-" which displays all Service items in the gallery. From the service list displayed in gallery users can select an item and it navigates results to another gallery view on the same screen (details of the service).   When the user selects the Service Family from the drop down, the service list gallery obviously displays only those services which have a service family matching the selected family in the drop down.  Works like a charm in edit play mode.  HOWEVER, when I publish this - if the user selects a service family and selects a service from the gallery list, it seems to refresh the screen and the drop down is reset to "-" and the detail displays for the service selected in the same position in the default view which is obviously not the same service.  Finding it impossible to fix because can't replicate it in the powerapps edit mode!   


I should add that there is also the text option to search the ServiceList - it searches both the service name and the excel column with metadata (also known as) to refine the list quickly to the service they're searching for.  In addition, another drop down exists on the Market where the user can select a specific Market for the service selected which then navigates to another screen to display the market specific details for the service and market selected.   Of course they can navigate back to the Service Search screen and it refreshes for another search.


Some settings to help understand:


Service Search Screen OnVisible: 

ClearCollect(CollectFamily,{Result: "-"}); (drop down items = CollectFamily)
Collect(CollectFamily,Distinct(MasterServices,'Service Family'));  (MasterServices table in excel provides distinct list for Service Family drop down)
ClearCollect(CollectMarket,{Result: "-"});  (drop down items for market search = CollectMarket)
Collect(CollectMarket,Sort(Distinct(ServiceMarketMap,Market),Result));  (ServiceMarketMap table in excel provides distinct list for Service Markets drop down)
Reset(TextInput5) (search box that's used on the screen)


ServiceListGallery Items

If (
Dropdown_ServFamily.Selected.Result = "-", Filter(MasterServices,'Service Family' = "Support" Or 'Service Family'= "Learning" Or 'Service Family' = "Customer Care"),

Dropdown_ServFamily.Selected.Result <> "-", Filter(MasterServices,Dropdown_ServFamily.Selected.Result in 'Service Family')),
TextInput5.Text,"Also Known As","Service Offered"),
'Service Offered',Ascending)


Anyone any ideas?

Super User
Super User

Excel is the least robust of the connectors, it is slow and if the spreadsheet is open anywhere it will lock the spreadsheet and the app won’t  work. I’ve even had that happen if I have the app open in edit mode in one tab and playing in another tab.i recommend the ABE approach (anything But Excel). I bet if you move this to a sharepoint list or some other data connection you won’t have this issue

@jlindstrom   Thanks for the information on excel. Yes, I know that it's the least robust of the connectors - not to mention that I must use an imported version of the file in my powerapps, because the option to place this on OneDrive is not feasible in our environmnent, which also prohibits a dynamic file 😞   However, I have already voiced the need, along with many others, to make excel as a more robust option since many organizations rely heavily on excel and sharepoint is not ideal for larger more complex lists of information - neither for performance in Powerapps (thresh holds!), nor for updating/managing data by the users.   I'm hoping at some point Microsoft hears our need and makes excel integration more robust with the option to link to the excel datasource in a sharepoint document library.  In the meantime, I continue my struggle.


I have found the error in my code and all seems to be working well again - ServFam actually was a previous version reference! Once I changed it to the new reference ServiceFamily all began to work.  Why it didn't highlight that as no longer found and give me errors I have no clue though! 



Helpful resources

PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group


Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (74,821)