cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

being able to search in a combobox from sharepoint without delegation issue

Hi all,

I am currently building my first application based on a maintable. In this table people will choose a country and then city based on country from a dropdown OR a combobox in which they are supposed to be able to search. The reason for this is the list is very long and having to scroll is not an option.

However, having set up a combobox for the purpose, I realise it tells me I have a delegation issue. The problem is the list might in fact reach the 2000 since the cities might exceed the number.

Either way having to scroll to find a given city is not an option. How do I get around this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Anonymous 

Strange, since the last post, I created a combo box and pointed it at a field in a SharePoint list with over 5,000 items, left search on  and it worked fine.

I have never seen this happen (which is why I was confused), however I do have a suggestion of sorts.

For the second combo box, do a collection - something like:-

ClearCollect(
    colCities,
    Filter(
        Cities,
        StartsWith(
            Country,
            CountryComboBox.Selected.Country
        )
    )
)

As long as the result of this is under 2000 cities, you can use any formula you like without delegation issues.

Please click and accept as Solution if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Searching on a text value is delegable. What is your delegation issue? Is it the Distinct query to get the list?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WarrenBelz 

DelegationSearch1.JPG

The problem is that as the list might get long I will have to keep the search toggled "ON" on the combobox, however, if the delegation becomes an issue it is no good.

What is your search criteria?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WarrenBelz 

ups.. I accidentally accepted your latest response as a solution.

I only have the criteria to search for that city or country, however I can't do that with a dropdown.

Ok, but what is the formula you are getting the delegation issue on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Due to search. I have toggled search on in the combobox since I need to be able to search for the city.

@Anonymous 

FYI, you can actually unmark as solution.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please unmark as per @mdevaney , suggestion - it will only confuse people.

Back to the issue, are you referring to the "Allow Searching" switch? The allows users to enter data to match something in the list - I am not aware of any delegation issue related to this alone. What is the formula for the Items in the combo box?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mdevaney, thank you!

@mdevaney& @WarrenBelz ,

I do not know whether I am being confusing; I am simply trying to create a dropdown or combobox etc. so that I can search for the thing I want to select (in this case a city or a country). This is because the list might get long, especially the cities list can be very long for specific countries.

The only way I have found to be able to actually search (for example I am looking for "Denver" in the US I would simple write "den" and it appears and I can select it) is with a combobox, not a dropdown. Is there another way?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,664)