cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

bug in sharepoint title replacing custom col how to correct this?

While trying to fix an issue with Search, I noticed Powerapps is seeing a cusotm column in my sharepoint as the name "Title" and not the name I gave it (which is "TripName")  I really thought I was working with a corrupt app or someting but then I saw  this article https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Sharepoint-Title-Column/td-p/117227

It seems Title is a required field in Sharepoint and even though I created this from an excel sheet import, for some reason this required column was internally converted to the name title. Althoug PowerApps seems to properly use the field name I gave it in most functions and collection, I gave it ("TripName"), the search function will throw an error unless I refer to it as "Title".

This is a pretty outrageous bug!!. Now the quesiton is what is the best practice to fix this? For now I am going to use the name "Title" as the trip name but there has to be better way to fix this. I really do not understand how a person is supposed to know that field will magically be changed without their knowledge.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: bug in sharepoint title replacing custom col how to correct this?

Its not a bug.  Its the way its designed to work.  Every SharePoint list has at least one field by default, Title.  A field in SharePoint has two names, the internal name and the display name.  You changed the display name, you can't change the internal name.  As you mentioned for most things you can use either the display name or the internal name, but for some things you must use the internal name.  There is no way to get around that. Its just part of the system

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Here's just the first link I found when searching the Internet for it.

https://spandothers.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/renaming-the-title-column-in-a-sharepoint-list/

Its a very well known issue.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Its not a bug.  Its the way its designed to work.  Every SharePoint list has at least one field by default, Title.  A field in SharePoint has two names, the internal name and the display name.  You changed the display name, you can't change the internal name.  As you mentioned for most things you can use either the display name or the internal name, but for some things you must use the internal name.  There is no way to get around that. Its just part of the system

Highlighted
Resolver II
Resolver II

Is there anywhere things like this are documented? I've been learning about list via trial and error. I would be interested in knowing some of the default behaviors like this as well as learning some of the more advanced capabilities.

Thanks
Gene
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Here's just the first link I found when searching the Internet for it.

https://spandothers.wordpress.com/2009/01/17/renaming-the-title-column-in-a-sharepoint-list/

Its a very well known issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,747)