Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chenhui
Helper I
Helper I

calling for a specific cell in excel sheet

Hello!

I was wondering if there is any way for me to create a function similar to the Search function that allows me to search for both the row and the specific column heading (aka to call out a cell). Such that users of the app will be able to select the row heading of their choice as well as the column heading of their choice.

example of data I have in my excel

country        region       population 

A                      2                  1234

B                      1                  5678 

C                      2                  9012

is it possible for the user to type into a search bar something like "C population" to retrieve the 9012 value? Or is there any other alternative way/ suggestions?

Thank you so much! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CNT
Super User
Super User

@Chenhui Typing the column name into a text field would not be ideal. Instead, you can use a dropdown with all the Column Names listed and search based on the user selection. Use a Textinput for the row value.

Your query will look like,

Switch(yourDropDown.SelectedText,

"column1", Filter(yourDataSource, column1=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

"column2", Filter(yourDataSource, column2=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

// add more...

)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CNT
Super User
Super User

@Chenhui Typing the column name into a text field would not be ideal. Instead, you can use a dropdown with all the Column Names listed and search based on the user selection. Use a Textinput for the row value.

Your query will look like,

Switch(yourDropDown.SelectedText,

"column1", Filter(yourDataSource, column1=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

"column2", Filter(yourDataSource, column2=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

// add more...

)

View solution in original post

Hello @CNT thank you so much for the help! I am a little new to power apps so I am having a bit of difficulty with coming up with the drop down list with column headers. May I know if the query is to be put into the dropdown box or is that for my gallery or the textinput? I have keyed in the in the dropdown box ["column 1", " column 2", "column 3"] to get the drop down box. I am assuming the query is for the gallery, but when I input the code it has highlighted my dropdown name in the code saying that there is an error. How should I go about it? thank you so much really appreciate the help!!

@Chenhui You are right, the query is for the Items property of the Gallery. Could you send a screen shot of the formula in the Items property of the gallery along with the error message.

@CNT Thank you so much for the help! Sorry for the delay in response but i have figured it out with your explanation!! Really appreciate the help so much!! 

@Chenhui Glad to help!

Please remember to give a 👍 and accept the solution as it will help others in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,021)