Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chenhui
Helper I
Helper I

calling for a specific cell in excel sheet

Hello!

I was wondering if there is any way for me to create a function similar to the Search function that allows me to search for both the row and the specific column heading (aka to call out a cell). Such that users of the app will be able to select the row heading of their choice as well as the column heading of their choice.

example of data I have in my excel

country        region       population 

A                      2                  1234

B                      1                  5678 

C                      2                  9012

is it possible for the user to type into a search bar something like "C population" to retrieve the 9012 value? Or is there any other alternative way/ suggestions?

Thank you so much! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CNT
Super User
Super User

@Chenhui Typing the column name into a text field would not be ideal. Instead, you can use a dropdown with all the Column Names listed and search based on the user selection. Use a Textinput for the row value.

Your query will look like,

Switch(yourDropDown.SelectedText,

"column1", Filter(yourDataSource, column1=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

"column2", Filter(yourDataSource, column2=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

// add more...

)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
CNT
Super User
Super User

@Chenhui Typing the column name into a text field would not be ideal. Instead, you can use a dropdown with all the Column Names listed and search based on the user selection. Use a Textinput for the row value.

Your query will look like,

Switch(yourDropDown.SelectedText,

"column1", Filter(yourDataSource, column1=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

"column2", Filter(yourDataSource, column2=yourSearchTextinput.Text),

// add more...

)

View solution in original post

Hello @CNT thank you so much for the help! I am a little new to power apps so I am having a bit of difficulty with coming up with the drop down list with column headers. May I know if the query is to be put into the dropdown box or is that for my gallery or the textinput? I have keyed in the in the dropdown box ["column 1", " column 2", "column 3"] to get the drop down box. I am assuming the query is for the gallery, but when I input the code it has highlighted my dropdown name in the code saying that there is an error. How should I go about it? thank you so much really appreciate the help!!

@Chenhui You are right, the query is for the Items property of the Gallery. Could you send a screen shot of the formula in the Items property of the gallery along with the error message.

@CNT Thank you so much for the help! Sorry for the delay in response but i have figured it out with your explanation!! Really appreciate the help so much!! 

@Chenhui Glad to help!

Please remember to give a 👍 and accept the solution as it will help others in the future.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,318)