cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

count frequency of specific character in a string

Firstly: this question probably sounds similar to this one.

But that query could not answer my question as far as I could tell. 

I have a table which uses a projectCode column to establish whether a given record is a parent, child or subchild. 

Parent entries are denoted as a number, eg 6. 

Child entries are denoted as a number, a comma and then another number. Eg 6,8. 

Subchild entries follow this theme, with 2 commas. Eg 6,8,3. 

It would be useful for me to use 'number of commas in projectCode' logic to establish whether a given item is a parent, child or subchild in powerapps, but I can't figure out how to do this. Ideas? Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: count frequency of specific character in a string

@Anonymous 

My suggestion would be to use SPLIT to change the Text data into a single column table and then COUNTA the rows.

CountA(Split(TextInput1.Text,","))-1

It just so happens I responded to a similar question last night so the code was still available in my forum testing app.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps-Formerly/Replacing-a-string-with-mutiple-commas-by-a-single-comma-using/m-p/407092#M119751

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect-thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

My suggestion would be to use SPLIT to change the Text data into a single column table and then COUNTA the rows.

CountA(Split(TextInput1.Text,","))-1

It just so happens I responded to a similar question last night so the code was still available in my forum testing app.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps-Formerly/Replacing-a-string-with-mutiple-commas-by-a-single-comma-using/m-p/407092#M119751

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfect-thank you!

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

No problem at all.  If my post solved your issue please mark it as the Solution to close the thread.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I had to re-upload the (static excel) data this afternoon and now each 'split' function is presenting an 'invalid argument' error. I tried formatting all ID_numbers as text in excel but this did not solve the issue. And using text() to wrap the function like below simply meant that the split() function was ignored/not executed:

CountA(Split(Text(TextInput1.Text),","))-1

Also, entering '.text' at the end of textInput1 in your example did not make it a valid argument type. This is just a column of plain text values...do you know what's going on? Thanks. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,221)