cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stadi
Frequent Visitor

creation of Autonumber in a from

Hi All,

I have created an entity for customer records and created a field which I set it up to be an autonumber, but when I am clicking a new form the autonumber is not showing; It's only showing when I try to save it.

Is there any possibility that the number can be shown in the field, when we click new from(though it is showing when we save it)

stadi_0-1598907048543.png

4 REPLIES 4
Eelman
Super User
Super User

@stadi 

I use a method with SharePoint that you maybe able to implement?

I generate a Ref_Number by adding to the Item ID, however, the item isn't created until the relevant data is Submitted, so I do this:

1. User selects 'Create New'

2. In the background, I Submit a hidden form with only the 'Required' fields data

3. In the OnSuccess of this Form, I set a variable to the myFormName.LastSubmit, which gives me the new ID

4. The user is then taken to the complete Form which is in Edit mode (not New) and has it's Item property set to the above variable

This way I can show the user their new Ref_Number which has been built using the ID. I use this method to circumvent double-ups of Ref_Numbers.

Not sure if you could adapt this method to suit your needs but it maybe worth a go?

stadi
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Eelman,

I am Using Model Driven App and created Entities, any Idea on how to go with that

@stadi 

Sorry, I've not yet used Model Driven apps & CDS Entities, but I think the basic outline I setup above should work for you? 

ie

- create a NEW item - only add the 'Required' fields

- somehow return the details of this NEW item back to your app, I use variables for this

stadi
Frequent Visitor

@Eelman will try that as well, Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (20,537)