cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

data from custom form not being submitted to SharePoint list

I have a custom form I created for a list in SharePoint that is not behaving as expected and I could really use some help! I have 4 choice columns in my list: State, Hotel Name, Inn Code and Facility ID. In my custom form, I've added a data source, edited the choices to come from my new data source(a Master Property List) and set up a cascading drop-down from State>Hotel>Inn Code + Facility ID. This all works as intended in the form in SharePoint but when I save my new entry all 4 fields come up blank. As a side note, there is a lot of data in the list/these columns but when I try to filter them I only receive the default choices(Enter Choice #1,Enter Choice #2,Enter Choice #3). Any help is greatly appreciated!Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: data from custom form not being submitted to SharePoint list

Hi @CarlHRVA ,

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think the solution I provided above could achieve your needs. Could you please show more details about the issue within your app?

Please note that if change the data type of these Choice fields in your SP List, the changes would not take effect immediately within your canvas app. In order to make these changes take effect within your app, you need to refresh the SP List data source within your app manually, then remove the Edit form from your app, then re-add a new one (Edit form) again, connect it to your SP List, enable these fields within this new Edit form, try above formula I provided, check if the issue is fixed.

In addition, you could also consider re-generate a new app based on your SP List, then apply above formula I provided into your Edit form, then check if the issue is solved.

If you have enabled "Allow Multiple" option for these LookUp fields in your SP List, you need to modify the formula within the Update property of the LookUp field data card to following:

Update property of State field data card:

ForAll(
       StateComboBox.SelectedItems,
       {
         Id: LookUp('Master Property List', State = Result, ID),
         Value: Result
       }
)

Update property of Hotel Name field data card:

ForAll(
       HotelNameComboBox.SelectedItems,
       {
         Id: LookUp('Master Property List', 'Property (PIM Short Name)'= Result, ID),
         Value: Result
       }
)

same logic for other two ComboBox controls in your Edit form

If you still have issue within your app, I think a quick call in Teams may help in your scenario. Please feel free to contact me if you are available.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CarlHRVA ,

Could you please share more details about the formula you typed within the Items property of the State, Hotel Name, Inn Code and Facility ID Dropdown box (ComboBoxes) in your Edit form?

For your first question, do you enable "Allow Multiple" options for these Choice type fields in your SP list? I assume that these Choice fields are all Single one choice file. Please go to the Edit form (SharePointForm1) of your custom form app, then set the Update property of the State field data card to following:

StateComboBox.Selected.DisplayColumn

set the Update property of the Hotel Name field data card to following:

HotelNameComboBox.Selected.DisplayColumn

set the Update property of the Inn Code field data card to following:

InnCodeComboBox.Selected.DisplayColumn 

set the Update property of the Facility ID field data card to following:

FacilityIDComboBox.Selected.DisplayColumn

Note: The DisplayColumn represents the display column value within above Choice field ComboBoxes. If you Type Distinct formula within above ComboBox Items property, you need to modify above formula as below:

StateComboBox.Selected.Result

For your second question, the Filter functionality options related to the Choice fields in your SP List is based on the available options you provided for the Choice field in your SP List itself in default.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

Thanks for your help! Yes, they are all only allowing one choice. IS it relevant that the columns we are looking up to are actually single line of text columns? I've been troubleshooting and changed the form a bit since this post. Now there are two formulas for State and Hotel Name. Inn Code and Facility ID are no longer working, I've screwed them up trying so many different things. It displays the correct Inn Code when I am in the formula bar but the dropdown displays nothing.

State:

Sort(Distinct('Master List',State),Result)

Hotel Name:

Distinct(Filter('Master Property List',State=DataCardValue22.Selected.Result),'Property (PIM Short Name)')

Inn Code:

Distinct(Filter('Master Property List','Property (PIM Short Name)'=DataCardValue23.Selected.Result),Inncode)

Facility ID:

Distinct(Filter('Master Property List','Property (PIM Short Name)'=DataCardValue23.Selected.Result),'Facility ID')

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

@v-xida-msft  Scratch that. The formulas for Inn Code and Facility ID are working again. I'm not sure what happened, they are exactly the same but they are working now. When I add DisplayColumn to the Update properties I get a "Name isn't valid. Identifier isn't recognized" error.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CarlHRVA ,

Could you please share a screenshot about your issue?

Does the formula works for the State ComboBox and Hotel Name ComboBox?

Please make sure you have specified "Result" column as display value column within your Inn Code ComboBox and Facility ID ComboBox.

I could not find any syntax error with the formulas you provided. You could consider modify your Inn Code Items formula to following:

Distinct(Filter('Master Property List','Property (PIM Short Name)'=DataCardValue23.Selected.Result),Inncode).Result

modify the Facility ID Items formula to following:

Distinct(Filter('Master Property List','Property (PIM Short Name)'=DataCardValue23.Selected.Result),'Facility ID').Result

then check if the proper value could be displayed within the ComboBoxes.

After that, take a try with the solution I provided in previous reply to update the Update property of the corresponding field data card in your Edit form, then check if the saved choice value could be saved into your SP List.

Best regards, 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Updated -- On your side, you should replace the DisplayColumn with actual column name from your ComboBoxes.

For Inn Code field data card Update property:

InnCodeComboBox.Selected.Result

For Facility ID field data card Update property to following:

FacilityIDComboBox.Selected.Result

Best regards, 

Post Patron
Post Patron

@v-xida-msfthere are my four columns, they're all working as intended now as far as cascading drop down. 

Capture.PNGMy problem now is that when I go into SharePoint, enter an item into the list and save it, these four columns values do not get input into the columns in the list. When I try to add .Result to the end of the Update properties, I get the error. I have a feeling this is because I'm using a different data source than the field was originally mapped too? I'm really not sure but I've been at this all night lol. Thanks so much for your help 

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

@v-xida-msft  Does it simplify things if these were look up columns? 

Currently they are choice columns in "Help Desk Ticket Log" or (List 1) where the form is being filled out and I am changing the Items property to get the items from a separate data source: Master Property List (List 2)

Would it be better if I used a look up column and avoid introducing a second data source?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CarlHRVA ,

Please modify the formula within the Update property of these Choice field data cards to following:

State field Data Card Update property:

{
   Value: StateComboBox.Selected.Result
}

Hotel Name field Data Card Update property:

{
 Value: HotelNameComboBox.Selected.Result
}

Inn Code field data card Update property:

{
 Value: InnCodeComboBox.Selected.Result
}

Facility ID field data card Update property:

{
 Value: FacilityIDComboBox.Selected.Result
}

Best regards,

Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

I was able to add those formulas to the Update property but the values still aren't populating in the list when I use the form in SharePoint. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,089)