cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

desktop studio performance

I have an app that connects to a list that has about 30 columns.  I'm rendering an edit form that displays about 25 fields, with the other five being shown only based on certain conditions.

In the desktop studio, it is almost impossible to work on this screen - clicking on anything takes 5-10 seconds to alter focus, writing formulae is basically typing for 5 seconds, waiting for 20 seconds.

I've disabled auto-save and started saving locally just to try and make it usable.

I have windows 10 on an i5 laptop with 16GB of RAM.

The web studio at this point is much faster than the desktop studio, so I'm now editing there instead!

It sometimes feels like studio is running about a million processes every time I do something - whether it's the intellisense or it's checking back with the cloud I have no clue, but it is honestly impossible to work (and demonstrate) to users using desktop studio.

I'm going to start moving my gallery data sets into collections to check on performance improvements there, but unless it's just the scale of the web studio backend that makes it faster, I suspect something within studio....

Any comments, suggestions or ideas welcome!

Kind regards,

R

28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

March 2018 and the incredibly slow desktop app isn't fixed yet? Surely they should just pull the desktop version if they don't plan on continuing it. As everyone's stated, it's impossible to use. Even a brand new project with nothing on it, runs like you're on an extremely slow VPN connection or something. Very odd.

Highlighted

=== ATTENTION ====

I have it on good authority that the performance issues with Desktop Version of the PowerApps Studio are *not* going to be resolved. Apprently there are some unusual techical challenges in doing so.

The suggestion is (of course)  to only use the Web version of the Studio, which will continue to be enhanced, as well PowerApps itself.

So ... it is what it is .... and I would put this to rest.

DatabaseMX ('mx')
Microsoft Access MVP
Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@mxwrote:

=== ATTENTION ====

I have it on good authority that the performance issues with Desktop Version of the PowerApps Studio are *not* going to be resolved. Apprently there are some unusual techical challenges in doing so.

The suggestion is (of course)  to only use the Web version of the Studio, which will continue to be enhanced, as well PowerApps itself.

There is nothing in this world what will make me work in web designer. If desktop designer will be ditched because of this (which I would not be surprised) then I'm out of here for good. I only hope you are misstaken 

Highlighted

" I only hope you are misstaken "

Sadly, I don't think that is the case ...

DatabaseMX ('mx')
Microsoft Access MVP
Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@mx

@mxwrote:

" I only hope you are misstaken "

Sadly, I don't think that is the case ...

If so then I'm glad my company rejected powerapps.

Highlighted

Thanks @mx. I have been using the web version since this thread began and slowly grown used to it. It is not surprising to see the end of the desktop version as all of these Microsoft technologies move to the cloud.

Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@mxwrote:

=== ATTENTION ====

I'd love to get some confirmation from MS that they plan to remove the app version of the editor but knowing nothing has been done to resolve the pile of issues we've all had this doesn't shock me... Either way I'm very disappointed but it does line up with  their constant push to use the web instead of the app to edit. 

Highlighted

@JRaasumaa

I'd love that too but I'm afraid they won't do it until few days before releasing "killing" update. They've done it before and they'll do it again. First there was a standalone studio with an option to release apps to the store. They ditched that and made it part of O365 for businesses. We were without an update for about a year. We were begging for an answers a year and we get it when it was all done and all gone... I was so mad that I tossed my pc with my windows phone to a bin and bought another non-microsoft devices.  This would be second time what would microsoft let me down. 

I don't know how about you but I definitely will not work 8 hours a day in an internet explorer. No matter how good or how fast it is

Highlighted

@JRaasumaa

re:I'd love to get some confirmation from MS"

Consider what I relayed to be that confirmation 🙂

I'm not saying that they will 'remove' the Studio version, but the recommendation is to not use it.  And at least at this time (and likely never), no resources are being allocated to resolve the issues with the Studio version 😞

But there is good news:

MAJOR resources are be allocated to Cloud and ... .... Mobile (read: PowerApps) 🙂

DatabaseMX ('mx')
Microsoft Access MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,839)