cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
warsongg00
Level: Powered On

do we have Ping control in powerapps? i want to make live connection monitor

post ip addresses in a list at sharepoint and show status of devices offline or online? if its not possible what method do you guys recommend?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: do we have Ping control in powerapps? i want to make live connection monitor

Hi,

This would be easier to do in PowerShell- I'd have it ping a list, then output that to a csv and email that to a flow-monitored address which then populates/replaces a SharePoint list with the data..

..but if you must do it in PowerApps there is a way, but it's very much outside of any functional developer scope and is more into the 'Pro developer' side:

You could have your PowerApp run a Flow that connects to Azure and runs an Azure function that pings the servers and stores the data in a list or returns the data to Flow to store in a list. (premium connectors will be involved here so it will come at a cost, plus you will need to have an active Azure subscription and know how to write and create Azure Functions).

So technically, there's no way to do this (directly) in PowerApps, and you should vote for it as a feature on the PowerApps Ideas forum as @mdevaney said if you want it to be a part of native PowerApps,

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: do we have Ping control in powerapps? i want to make live connection monitor

@warsongg00 

PowerApps does not have the ability to check if other devices are currently online nor can it check whether a user is online using the Skype connector.  I do not know of any connector that can do this.

My suggestion is to go vote for the Idea if you want to make it happen.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/More-info-on-user-s-device-network-like-IP-addre...

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my response helped to solve your issue so that others may find it more quickly. If your thought the post was helpful please give it a "Thumbs Up."

Super User
Super User

Hi,

This would be easier to do in PowerShell- I'd have it ping a list, then output that to a csv and email that to a flow-monitored address which then populates/replaces a SharePoint list with the data..

..but if you must do it in PowerApps there is a way, but it's very much outside of any functional developer scope and is more into the 'Pro developer' side:

You could have your PowerApp run a Flow that connects to Azure and runs an Azure function that pings the servers and stores the data in a list or returns the data to Flow to store in a list. (premium connectors will be involved here so it will come at a cost, plus you will need to have an active Azure subscription and know how to write and create Azure Functions).

So technically, there's no way to do this (directly) in PowerApps, and you should vote for it as a feature on the PowerApps Ideas forum as @mdevaney said if you want it to be a part of native PowerApps,

Cheers,

Sancho

Don't forget to 'Mark as Solution' if a post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or helped you!

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@iAm_ManCat

Very creative idea you have there!

My dilemma in programming is as follows: many times is there is almost always a way to do what the client wants but the trade off is complexity.  Sometimes I consider delivering non-native functionality within a solution but I weigh it against the clients ability to maintain the app and the possibility of the solution breaking.  I want to tell the client I can do something but I also don't want to disappoint them in the future.

Do you think about this topic alot too?  

warsongg00
Level: Powered On

can you please provide step by step tutorial on how to do this? for non programmers

Super User
Super User

@mdevaney Absolutely, I try to keep it as simple as possible, as like you say there is more room for breakage in the more dev-based solutions. In my case I'm not doing it for clients as it's for internal staff so I know they won't touch it and I have eyes on the admin&IT side of things in case anyone decides to do any impromptu changes.

@warsongg00 It's not going to be easy for me to create a step-by-step list for this, we are talking about a lot of really complex processes and Loads of code, which if you are unfamiliar with, could create problems in your tenant if not implemented correctly. If you are interested in doing something like this I would say look up some videos on PowerShell/AzureFunctions and learn it, it's not something that has a cut-and-dry solution or steps that I can provide easily. I will add it to my backlog of things to create videos about, but it's not going to be any time soon as my primary focus outside of work at the moment is the branding template I built.

I would say at present unless you know what you are doing or have someone else who is a developer who can attempt it, then I wouldn't suggest going down that route.

It would probably be better as a workaround to find a 3rd-party tool that can email you scheduled ping reports, and then have that go to an email address that a Flow monitors, then use Flow to extract the data and populate a list.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,300)