cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnnyK
Frequent Visitor

dropdown box reverting to the first option

It might be a strange practice, but this is exactly what is happening,

in my app, I have an option where users choose an option from a dropdown menu, this dropdown item is filtered from a sharepoint list to show specific items, after choosing this option and some other options, the user click on next to move to a second screen, in the second screen, the user will have also to choose different other options, once user is done, he should click on submit, the submit button will submit a number of forms, (from 1 to 10 forms based on the student input), and will send emails also (from 1 to 10 emails based on the user input), the strange part here that some users are reporting that the app sometimes is reverting back the dropdown menu of the first screen to the first item, which is in fact "sometimes" happening based on the invalid data submit to the forms after submission, when I try the feature from my side, or when I click home, back and whatever, the dropdown menu keep the same value, i.e. there is no reset(dropdown) anywhere in the app.

knowing that I have the same problem with another feature that include only patch, without any submit form

In another thread I saw someone posting this problem, but he was working on an sql server and the reason was PK and FK, any thoughts anyone?

2 REPLIES 2
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@JohnnyK 

The value that will be displayed is first governed by what is in the Default property of the Dropdown.  Take a look at that and see what you have there.

Once a user changes the dropdown item, the control will retain its setting until either the control is Reset (which you say it is not) or if the table in the Items property is updated.  I suspect the second to be your issue.  If your submit is altering the datasource that your dropdown comes from, then this CAN have an impact on the selected item.  I say CAN because if the Items property is relatively simple, there usually is no issue, but if there is significant impact on the items, PowerApps will automatically reset the control.

However, I would still start the journey at looking at the Default property.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!
JohnnyK
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the detailed and clear answer, actually I was following up on what you suggested, but still didn't find any refresh for the list source, but what I noticed after some observation, that this is happening only, just after the user log in to the app, and if he directly requested this feature, 
in other words if the user login to the app, directly access the above feature and click on submit, the dropdown box will reset to the first option, is it possible that the app refresh all its source just after starting? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (3,112)