Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Englishweb
Post Patron
Post Patron

hide sharepoint list from users

Hello

I would like to know the best (most secure) way to hide a sharepoint list from users?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Englishweb 

Laura did a great talk on this topic, which I would recommend watching. There are a series of steps that she recommends, the screenshot beneath summarizes the points.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Videos/PowerApps-Community-Call-How-to-create-secure-PowerApps-w... 

image.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

The only real way to hide a list from users is to remove their access permissions to the list.  But doing that will also make it impossible for the users to use the list through Power Apps, which is I suspect what you want to do.  Power Apps is just not designed to be a security front end for a SharePoint list. To use a list in Power Apps users must have permissions for the list.  In this case its best to handle this through governance.  Tell user's not to access the list directly and only use Power Apps to work with the list.  Then make sure to audit for direct user access and enforce the policy.  There really is no other way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

@Englishweb

The advice of @Pstork1 is 100% correct.

In addition I would suggest that you exclude the SharePoint list from SharePoint search results. This will minimize the possibility that someone can find the list. That way they would have to know the specific URL to even find the list.

—-
Please Accept as Solution if this post answered your question so others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.
Eelman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Englishweb I agree with the comments of both @Pstork1 & @mdevaney . 

This discussion from Apr-19 has some ideas about how you could achieve a pseudo-hidden list:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Protect-sharepoint-list-let-users-use-powera...

v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Englishweb ,

If you mean, users can only read and view data through powerapp, but access to the list is restricted, to be honest, there is no magic bullet. The SP list access permission within a canvas app inherits permissions from the SP list itself, so if you want users to have access to SP list, you are also able to access the SP list. 

Hide the navigation bar of the list in your SharePoint site seems to work, but it doesn't make sense if users get the link to the list.

So maybe you can do things like feedback multi-level permission function requirement to SharePoint Product, right?

Sik

Hi @Englishweb 

Laura did a great talk on this topic, which I would recommend watching. There are a series of steps that she recommends, the screenshot beneath summarizes the points.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Videos/PowerApps-Community-Call-How-to-create-secure-PowerApps-w... 

image.png

efroseroc
Helper III
Helper III

The best current solution is the one given by Shane Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD5piH5Bd20

THANK YOU

@efroseroc wrote:

The best current solution is the one given by Shane Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD5piH5Bd20

I wish this response had more views/thumbs up, because THIS is the right answer.

When someone like @Pstork1 says "There really is no other way." I say B.S.

Similarly I was also told recently you cannot message people directly in teams via powerapps- which is also only true if you have tunnel vision. 

I love impressive solutions, thank you for pointing out the video @efroseroc ! I have turned to Shane Young for lots of neat solutions for my own apps, highly recommend!

Yes, you can make a list difficult to find for users. But it isn't security.  You cannot remove user's permissions to a list and still use it in Power Apps.  You can hide it, which is what Shane does and that will work until someone gives the user the URL to the list.  At that point they can do anything they want with the list.  People who want to hide a list inevitably want to do it as a security measure.  Its NOT SECURE. Lulling yourself and your users into a false sense of security by hiding a list is what I call BS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

I never stated it was secure, but if it's not in the browser, cannot be searched, and the regular end user can't accidentally find it nor knows the name of the list, you can avoid a general end user from accidentally stumbling upon and/or accessing the data, and it's better than only hiding it from site navigation.

Again, not secure, but a way better answer for sure. No one's kidding themselves here, I did not mean to sound that way. If I did, I apologize

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,700)