Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Patron
Post Patron

hide sharepoint list from users

Hello

I would like to know the best (most secure) way to hide a sharepoint list from users?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi @Englishweb 

Laura did a great talk on this topic, which I would recommend watching. There are a series of steps that she recommends, the screenshot beneath summarizes the points.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Videos/PowerApps-Community-Call-How-to-create-secure-PowerApps-w... 

image.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The only real way to hide a list from users is to remove their access permissions to the list.  But doing that will also make it impossible for the users to use the list through Power Apps, which is I suspect what you want to do.  Power Apps is just not designed to be a security front end for a SharePoint list. To use a list in Power Apps users must have permissions for the list.  In this case its best to handle this through governance.  Tell user's not to access the list directly and only use Power Apps to work with the list.  Then make sure to audit for direct user access and enforce the policy.  There really is no other way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted

@Englishweb

The advice of @Pstork1 is 100% correct.

In addition I would suggest that you exclude the SharePoint list from SharePoint search results. This will minimize the possibility that someone can find the list. That way they would have to know the specific URL to even find the list.

—-
Please Accept as Solution if this post answered your question so others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@Englishweb I agree with the comments of both @Pstork1 & @mdevaney . 

This discussion from Apr-19 has some ideas about how you could achieve a pseudo-hidden list:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Protect-sharepoint-list-let-users-use-powera...

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Englishweb ,

If you mean, users can only read and view data through powerapp, but access to the list is restricted, to be honest, there is no magic bullet. The SP list access permission within a canvas app inherits permissions from the SP list itself, so if you want users to have access to SP list, you are also able to access the SP list. 

Hide the navigation bar of the list in your SharePoint site seems to work, but it doesn't make sense if users get the link to the list.

So maybe you can do things like feedback multi-level permission function requirement to SharePoint Product, right?

Sik

Highlighted

Hi @Englishweb 

Laura did a great talk on this topic, which I would recommend watching. There are a series of steps that she recommends, the screenshot beneath summarizes the points.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Videos/PowerApps-Community-Call-How-to-create-secure-PowerApps-w... 

image.png

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,453)