cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

how to change the data source in powerapps?

hi. i have a powerapps form linking to a sharepoint site data source. how do i delete that data source and replace all instances of it with another sharepoint data source?

reason: i used a tutorial on this site and was able to export my powerapps form to another site. the new sharepoint site is exact mirror of the old site. the exported form carried over it's old datasource connection, just need to replace that part.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: how to change the data source in powerapps?

Hi @cchan000 ,

I'm afraid that is not possible currently. When you change the data source of the Form control, all before customized design for the data cards would be reset with the new data source.

The workaround so far is creating code components. For more information, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/component-framework/overview

If you need this feature, consider to add an idea in below forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cchan000 ,

Is it a standalone app or a custom form created from SharePoint list?

You can delete the data sources from View > Data Sources > Select "..." > Remove

Capture.JPG

Then add the new data source from the same section.

But please remember to change the data source name to the new one in all the formulas in this app and the old column names to the new column names too. And it is recommended to delete the old data cards in the fom controls and then add with the new fields.

Regards,

Mona

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

thanks! almost worked. is there any way to AVOID replacing all data cards? it loses the formatting and my design.

the new data source sharepoint has the exact same fields and values.

error.png

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cchan000 ,

I'm afraid that is not possible currently. When you change the data source of the Form control, all before customized design for the data cards would be reset with the new data source.

The workaround so far is creating code components. For more information, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/developer/component-framework/overview

If you need this feature, consider to add an idea in below forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Mona

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

same situation and same problem here!

Canvas app with a SharePoint list as Datasource: when imported into Production from Development environment we have to rebuild almost from scratch the app.

Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Did you find a solution to this ?

Highlighted

I have this issue right now and there is an obvious solution that should work...but doesn't.

When you download a PowerApp to your desktop, you can see that they are mainly just zipped collections of json files. It should be as easy as opening each of the files in the Controls directory (each file is a page in the app) and doing a find/replace all on the data source name.

However, Microsoft have made changes to PowerApps which now mean that any modifcation to these files make them disappear from your app when you upload it. This is a massive step backwards for people who want to make global changes like data source, or situations like if their company rebrands and suddenly you have to change the colourscheme on every control on every page in every app you manage.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,404)