cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

how to launch outlook app as default app when I click on the button in powerapps

Hi team,

I have one button to launch the outlook app. i am using the below code to launch the outlook from mobile.

Launch("mailto:abcd@test.com?subject=test");  If I use these code it launches the default mail app in a mobile. I know we can change the default to outlook in mobile but I want to launch outlook only.

is there any other way to launch the outlook app using power apps.

Thank you,

Rajesh

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: how to launch outlook app as default app when I click on the button in powerapps

Hi @rajesh6,

Could you try using the following format for your link:

Launch("ms-outlook://compose?to=example@email.com&subject=Subject")

This will open up outlook on mobiles specifically as it uses the URL scheme for opening the Outlook App on Mobiles, however, if Outlook is not installed it will likely not work at all so we need to be careful of that.

Quick note about using mailto: - it will use whatever is the default mail client on that device, whether it be mobile/desktop - ie if you use ThunderMail on your desktop, it will open the new mail in that and if you use Xmail on your mobile it will open that.

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: how to launch outlook app as default app when I click on the button in powerapps

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried that one but not working..

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Just did a double-check and this ms-outlook protocol doesn't show up anymore so maybe it was deprecated,

Here is the list of most standard URI formats: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_URI_schemes

So unfortunately it does look like you can't force it to open with Outlook - have you considered enrolling your phones using Microsoft Intune, you could then enforce that Outlook is the default mail client.

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi,
where can I check whether ms-outlook protocol is deprecated or not. is there any official link from 
Microsoft?

Can we use ms-outlook protocol in feature development PowerApps? 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hey @rajesh6 

I just wanted to clarify, I don't currently work for Microsoft in any capacity, I am just a normal person who likes helping others on the forums.

I found this list of URI schemes for office for windows (in terms of official docs): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/client-developer/office-uri-schemes

And this list of schemes from IANA ( Internet Assigned Numbers Authority - the official internet naming scheme authority) has a very thorough list: https://www.iana.org/assignments/uri-schemes/uri-schemes.xhtml

As much as I would also like to be able to force users to open Outlook from my Apps, I don't think it's currently possible given the information I could find.

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,947)