cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
adyboon Helper I
Helper I

how to save multiple consecutive dates to a record

I'm trying to save the current date to a record each day. A manager would basically check in their employees each day with their status. I have list set up with EmpName with each employee listed, Department, Location, ReasonOut, and a few other columns. I need to be able to save each day to their row, preferably up to a month. I have an app already made with everything I need except this last part.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: how to save multiple consecutive dates to a record

@adyboon 

Your description is excellent.  Let me see if understand though...

• Each morning the supervisor opens the app. 
  • For any 'missing' employees he clicks on their name
  • Then the supervisor enters the date and the reason for time-off and clicks a submit button
  • (I assume there will not be entries for days when a worker attended work) 

Then the past 2 weeks data needs to be displayed somewhere in the app.  Are you trying to show this on the worker's individual page like this in a table?

LeaveDate Reason
4/1/2020 Kids at home
4/5/2020 COVID-19

What country are you in?  I am curious to research the COVID-19 bill you mentioned.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Super User
Super User

@adyboon 

The typical approach here would be to save a new entry for each date instead of putting them all on one row.

Example:

Employee WorkedDate
John Doe 1/1/2020
John Doe 1/2/2020
John Doe 1/3/2020
John Doe 1/4/2020
John Doe 1/5/2020

Then you could get the dates worked by John Doe and place them in the Items property of a gallery like this.

Filter(your_datasource_name, Employee="John Doe", WorkedDate)

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

adyboon Helper I
Helper I

Thanks, I also saw this solution by you, could this work by adding a new date column each day and then check in the employee?

AddColumns(
    RenameColumns(your_datasource_name, "ID", "currentID","Date", "currentDate"),
    "isNextRowSameDate",
    !IsBlank(LookUp(
                your_datasource_name,
                ID =  currentID + 1 And Date = currentDate
            )
    )
)

Or should I incorporate your solution in the previous post in conjunction with the list already made (employee, etc.)? Do I need a list for each employee to list the dates?

Super User
Super User

@adyboon 

No, unfortunately that wouldn't work here.

Are you making a 'check-in/check-out' time system for employees?  Please show me a screenshot of the app.  Does the employee 'check-in/check-out' by using the app when they start or leave work?

---

adyboon Helper I
Helper I

The employee doesn't check themselves in. They report to a manager who does it. It's basically tracking who is out sick, reason, and date. I photo-shopped out the employee names and other PII. (App screen with 3 lists) This would all be exported out daily to upper mgmt.

TrackingScreenShot.jpgWorkLocationScreenShot.JPGEmpNamesScreenShot.JPGDepartmentScreenShot.JPG

Super User
Super User

@adyboon 

Any reason you can't put these fields into a form and click submit to write a new item to the SharePoint list?

---

adyboon Helper I
Helper I

We have a separate time sheet system that tracks leave hours. The numbers are to inform manager how many hours the person has at the moment. The only issue currently, is keeping track of the employee for each date.

adyboon Helper I
Helper I

The area on the right is an edit form. If you click on the gallery item it populates the edit form next to it, which updates the sharepoint list. All employees should have an entry, not just the ones that could potentially be out.

Super User
Super User

@adyboon 

Sorry that I am asking so many questions.  I guess what I don't understand is 'what is the purpose of the Check-in date field?' and why does it need to be populated with many dates instead of just one?

---

adyboon Helper I
Helper I

No, questions are great. I can't seem to wrap my head around this one.

Basically a site supervisor would check their people in the morning to see who is there and who is out sick and update the app.

EmpName                 Date                              ReasonOut

Employee1                CurrentDate                  N/A At Work

Employee 2               CurrentDate                  Flu

Employee 3               CurrentDate                  Caring for sick child

It's in reference to helping track the reasons people are out sick in relation to the April 1st change regarding the COVID-19 sick leave bill. Most of the company is working from home, but there is a section that works at sites maintaining physical security equipment.

We need to be able to see at least 2 weeks worth of dates, preferably a month and then it can reset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Power Platform 2020 release wave 1 plan

Features releasing from April 2020 through September 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,591)