cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrentMason
Frequent Visitor

iPhone Client issue: Name could be too long

Having problems with iPhone client v: 3.22024.16.  When starting the app we're reading data from SharePoint, then writing to the device storage.  I am getting a "There was a problem saving your data. Name could be too long."  I think it is bug in the iPhone Power App mobile client as we DON'T have the issue when running from the desktop (web) or Android.  There are several other intermittent errors that are occurring too, these are also limited to the iPhone.

BrentMason_0-1647885864862.png

Previous versions of our Power App are running without issue.  SharePoint is the data source.

Any advice on how to trap the "Name could be too long" as Errors() and other functions don't seem to play well with SaveData based on my experience?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@BrentMason 

Try 3.22031.27 - it is supposedly addressed in that release.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@BrentMason 

The error you are seeing is related to the use of SaveData in your app.

It is a bug!!  Not your fault!

But, it should have been resolved in the more recent release of the PowerApps authoring version.  What version is your app published in?  I would check that and change to a more recent release.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

BrentMason
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Randy, thanks for the quick reply.  Current authoring version is: 3.22022.31.  I can retry publishing, it was last published 5 calendar days ago.

BrentMason
Frequent Visitor

@RandyHayes, just republished (3.22022.31) and updated iPhone client to 3.22031.24.  Same result.  Doesn't appear to be fixed 😞

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@BrentMason 

Try 3.22031.27 - it is supposedly addressed in that release.

BrentMason
Frequent Visitor

@RandyHayes - regarding the 3.22031.27.  Is this the authoring # I'm seeing in the editor?  Or the About -> Version on the iPhone?  I just updated the iPhone app to 3.22031.24 and authoring version is 3.22022.31 with the same poor results.  I'll be patient until something new is released.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@BrentMason 

No, the authoring version is what you see in the app designer under the settings/support.  You'll want to change it there and publish to see if it helps.

BrentMason
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @RandyHayes v3.22031.27 did the trick.  Until today I didn't know that editing the version was even a thing 🙂

BrentMason
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @RandyHayes v3.22031.27 did the trick.  Until today I didn't know that editing the version was even a thing 🙂

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@BrentMason 

Excellent!  Yes, keep in mind though, whenever you return to the editing environment, the editor will revert back to the recommended version.  So, if that version happens to be the one that doesn't work, you will have to change the authoring version each time before publishing.

Kind of wish they would do a little better on the QA!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (5,133)