cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
audrieg
Power Automate
Power Automate

input mask

Do we have the ability to create "Input Masks".

I'd like one for Phone Number and Zip Code.

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
CarlosFigueira
Power Apps
Power Apps

This feature isn't available in PowerApps at this point; I'd suggest you to create a new item in the PowerApps Ideas Board to register it (and possibly get more votes from other people).

The closest feature that is implemented at this moment is the 'Format' property of the Text Input control, in which you can restrict the input to numbers only. Not exactly an input mask, but at least in the case of the telephone, it can guide the user to enter the correct input.

View solution in original post

mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@audrieg 
Yes, you can automatically format a phone number as the user types it by creating an “input mask.”  It’s amazing to watch the phone number brackets and dashes appear automatically as you type!  Zip codes are possible too.  Check out this article to learn how.

Link to article:

https://www.matthewdevaney.com/power-apps-phone-number-formatting-in-a-form-input-mask/
powerapps-inputmask-forums.gif

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Perumal
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Searched and tried in PowerApps, I don't find any input mask options.

Thanks for trying! 🙂

CarlosFigueira
Power Apps
Power Apps

This feature isn't available in PowerApps at this point; I'd suggest you to create a new item in the PowerApps Ideas Board to register it (and possibly get more votes from other people).

The closest feature that is implemented at this moment is the 'Format' property of the Text Input control, in which you can restrict the input to numbers only. Not exactly an input mask, but at least in the case of the telephone, it can guide the user to enter the correct input.

Yes, I found the format text option. The only problem with that is it is reactive and not proactive.

What I mean is an 'input mask' encourages the data to be entered incorrectly, making it impossible to enter data that is not compatible with the value format. For example, with an input mask I can enforce a business rule that only allows letters, and will automatically reject the input of numbers. This is more difficult with only the format() option, requiring more controles and property expressions to get to the same result.

Since it seems we need more controls as a practice for business rules, I'm also wondering if that could impact the latency of the app....so I am hoping to learn more concise expressions and use less controls to improve performance. (Although honestly, I've not been able to really get a handle on what slows the app down when connection dependencies exist.)

You probably didn't want to know all that LOL! In any event, thank you very much for your help and for trying it yourself too! I'll post an idea in the ideas board soon.

Better late than sorry 🙂

3 different ways to implement a currency input mask:
1) The currency mask formatting is not visible until you submit the form (the simplest).
2) You can see the mask formatting even before submitting your form but you need to click away from the field to see the formatting (medium complexity).
3) The currency formatting is applied real time as you type in the numbers (the most complicated but the most natural way of working with currency).

Note, it's not a 100% solution but it will give you an idea.

https://365basics.com/powerapps-3-different-ways-to-implement-currency-input-mask/

MartSil
Frequent Visitor

Check this solution from Laura Rogers

https://wonderlaura.com/2019/07/23/powerapps-text-input-pattern-validation/

It worked for me
if it works for you - please mark as "Solved"

mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@audrieg 
Yes, you can automatically format a phone number as the user types it by creating an “input mask.”  It’s amazing to watch the phone number brackets and dashes appear automatically as you type!  Zip codes are possible too.  Check out this article to learn how.

Link to article:

https://www.matthewdevaney.com/power-apps-phone-number-formatting-in-a-form-input-mask/
powerapps-inputmask-forums.gif

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,359)