cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

This is a bit strange. I noticed in the past few days that when using the command

 

Launch("mailto:myemail@email.com?subject=Something goes here")

 

my resulting email message subject line reads "Something+goes+here", adding in the "+"s instead of just incorporating the spaces. I've tried using the "%20" escape method but to no avail.

 

Can any one else reproduce this? Is this a known issue with the latest release?

 

Thanks!

 

MV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

For what it's worth, the use of the "?" makes the string populate as a query (like what goes into a search engine URL), so instead use:

 

Launch("mailto:myemail@email.com&subject=Something goes here")

 

If you want to use variables from the app, use:

 

Launch("mailto:"& ThisItem.Email&  "&subject=Something goes here")

 

I was able to reproduce your issue and overcome it. Hope it works for you as well.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Hi

 

I have been using Launch("mailto...") any problem for months and recently not aware of such issues.

I tried Launch again and I can reproduce the same as you, with + in between two phrases with (with spaces).

 

Hope PG can look into this.

 

TQ

hpkeong
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Yes, the same here.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Hi MAV_CB,

 

It seems that this issue has been fixed now. Please try again with this and let me know if it works on your side.

 

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Hi Mabel. Unfortunately the issue still persists :(. I'm running version 2.0.560 of the app updated on 11/28

 

Thanks!

 

Mark V.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

@MAV_CB, @Lingualizer I can reproduce the same issue. I will try involving other engineers to have a check on it. Thanks for reporting this issue.

Frequent Visitor

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

For what it's worth, the use of the "?" makes the string populate as a query (like what goes into a search engine URL), so instead use:

 

Launch("mailto:myemail@email.com&subject=Something goes here")

 

If you want to use variables from the app, use:

 

Launch("mailto:"& ThisItem.Email&  "&subject=Something goes here")

 

I was able to reproduce your issue and overcome it. Hope it works for you as well.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

I am using the format you suggest:

Launch("mailto:"& ThisItem.Email&  "&subject=Something goes here")

 

But I am still experiencing the + issue. I also tried the %20 with no success.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

Thanks for the reply. Totally worked when I changed out the "?" character for an "&" instead.

 

MV

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: mailto command is adding "+" characters to my message

What application is the + subject line launching in (Mail,Outlook,etc.)? What is the operating platform (iOS, Android, W10)?

 

Try without the spaces:

 

Launch("mailto:"&ThisItem.Email&"&subject=TEXT HERE")

 

(I would suggest copying the above text and pasting it into notepad to strip any formating or errant characters before inserting it into the app.)

 

The '%20' attempt is likely not going to resolve the issue. That is just a place holder for a space. The issues lies in the fact that the subject string is not being properly interpreted as a text string.

 

I would say update the code, update the data sources, save the app, wait about 5-10 minutes, then relaunch the application from your platform (make sure it reacquires the app file) and try again.

 

Good Luck

 

 

 

 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,814)