cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bravoperss
Helper I
Helper I

open Canvas App on click of button

I have a requirement to open a Canvas App by click of a button from crm and I can see a few examples already provided for this. The main query I have is that since I would need to code the javascript function to open the Canvas App using the App Id (of the Canvas App), would this Id remain same when the Canvas App is migrated across different environments Dev to Production. Can someone who has used this approach please clarify.

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @bravoperss ,

I can tell you definitively that the app ID will not be the same as this value has to be unique to the app. Migrating (as you would know) involves making a copy of the app in the other environment, therefore the "old" app is still there and each now has its unique ID.

I don't know if this helps, but I control things like deep linking testing with a reference table (one in each environment) with the URL of the target app and simply lookup and refer to this in the script. When the app ends up in Prod, the reference of the Prod target is already there.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi Warren,

Thanks for replying. How do you map the App ids in table to the different environments ? Is this based on Org name. We also do sometimes copy our test environments from Prod and the process gives random org names.

Hi @bravoperss ,

On thinking it further, I did miss describing one step. When I get to Prod, I unlink the test list (which is on the test site) and link to a list with the same name and fields in the prod site. Only takes a few minutes, but I have a heap of other parameters there as well it picks up which I can freely change on the test version without affecting Prod.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Sorry but I am having a bit of difficulty putting it all together. I get the point of maintaining a table to map the App Id but how would that work during copy of Prod to a new test Instance of CRM for example. I suppose the App ID would be new in this case. Would someone have to manually update the table each time this is done or are there options to query the App ID from Powerapps directly and auto populate this into some table by running a script ?

@bravoperss ,

Now I see the confusion - Apples and Pears here. I have a SharePoint backend. When you mentioned a Canvas app, I made the wrong assumptions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (54,713)