Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

opening attachments in native app or browser without downloading

Hi,

I've seen many posts on here detailing different work arounds for when a user clicks on an attachment in a canvas app. Based on some troubleshooting, the behavior it seems is set at browser, when I use Firefox, and click on an attachment I get a box appear giving me the option to open or save

In Edge when I click the attachment it has downloaded it and gives me the option to open the file from my downloaded files.

Has anyone experienced this? What is the best solution to ensure the user does not need to download the file, and point it to the native app to open, if that's even possible, I think you can point a file to open in the browser without downloading but not to the native app without downloading?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

found this video from @RezaDorrani and has solved my problem. 

Thanks both Reza and Warren

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lefty ,

I have a blog on the process required.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Lefty ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi Warren @WarrenBelz 

Re-visiting this for another app. I have looked at your blog. I have attempted to use option3 - HTML control with links.

I thought I had done what was required but I dont see anything in the Html text box.

I have created a HtmlText inside of my attachment data card in my canvas app.

and the only thing I have changed in the code is for it to point to my data source.

Do I need to change anything else, as it the HTMLText box is blank, even though I have attachments in my attachment control?

EDIT:

What is galTest in your suggestions? I of course need something to reference in my app, but unsure what that needs to be

Thanks

Lefty
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

found this video from @RezaDorrani and has solved my problem. 

Thanks both Reza and Warren

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (4,219)