cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mon

parent-child relationship custom entities

I'm new to powerapps, and tried to create custom entities under common data service.
However, when I try to set relationships between these custom entities, I can't seem to specify whether they can be under a "parent" relationship and can only assign a "lookup" relationship to them.

Is it possible to create a custom entity and assign a "Parent" relationship to it?

3 REPLIES 3
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mon,

Relationships are created between entities, we couldn't assign "Parent" relationship to a custom entity, 

Relationship between entities could be managed through the Relationship tab under each entity, currently there is no feature available to specify which one is the "Parent".

Creating relationship between entites would add a lookup field in the entity which you manage the relationship with, the lookup field would appears as a Drop down control that contains data from the primary key field of the referred entity in a collapsed state. To see two fields in the drop down when it is expanded, you must add the PrimaryId field and a second field of your choice to the Default Lookup field group of the related entity of the lookup relation.

More information, please check:

Build a relationship between entities

Entity relationships and lookup fields

If I have any misunderstandings, please let me know.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for clearing that up!
But I have to ask, will next updates on Power Apps enable us to create such relationships for custom entities?

Hi @Mon,

Apologize for the late response.

Well, that is hard to say.

You could try to submit idea on this part through the following webpage, to suggest how to manage relationships thorugh CDS:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,780)