cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

parent.defualt 'Expected Text Value' .. how to retain values in Edit mode

Setting up the default control on my edit form screen and I keep getting this message shown below on only SOME drop down boxes. Can anyone help me fix this error?

Jbarfield_2-1599748202921.png

Jbarfield_1-1599748028203.png

I understand that the data type is 'Record' and it is expecting 'Text Value'

The end goal is to get this formula working 

If(EditForm1.Mode = FormMode.Edit, Parent.Default, " ") 

So that when the form is in edit mode the dropdown retains the previous value, and shows a blank space when it is a new form. 

Again, this formula is working on some drop downs and not others 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: parent.defualt 'Expected Text Value' .. how to retain values in Edit mode

@Jbarfield 

Can you try to update the expression as: If(EditForm1.Mode = FormMode.Edit, ThisItem.ColumnName, " ")

Here, you need to update ColumnName with the name of column in the sharepoint list.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Hi @Jbarfield 

Can you confirm if you are updating the Default or DefaultSelectedItems property? You should be updating the DefaultSelectedItems property. There are not much details about the field type in your description, can you share that for the specific field? If you can share more details about the schema of the datasource, we might be able to help you better.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I am using the default field, The data source for the places it is not working is a single line text column in sharepoint. The places it is working are from choice columns in sharepoint. @yashag2255 

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

@Jbarfield 

Can you try to update the expression as: If(EditForm1.Mode = FormMode.Edit, ThisItem.ColumnName, " ")

Here, you need to update ColumnName with the name of column in the sharepoint list.

Hope this Helps!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@yashag2255  It didn't seem to like this IF statement 

Jbarfield_0-1599749391076.png

Jbarfield_1-1599749435200.png

but I was able to tweak it a little bit by adding .Value

Jbarfield_2-1599749694159.png

and now it is working! On edit I have the previous values and on new form I have blank spaces 

Still a bit unclear on the logic but *thumbs up since it is working

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

@Jbarfield 

If the formula is accepting the .Value attribute, it means it is not a single line of text field but instead an option set or similar type. That is why it drills into the level where there is actual text data.

If the issue is resolved, please accept the solution so that it is helpful for others facing the same issue.

Hope this Helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,193)