cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

pass people field parameter to URL

Trying to create a URL that links to the loged in users profile page.  The profile page is not set by ID but by People field Email.  I set param for screen but when putting together it is only taking me to the home page of the app not the specified page.  

App Setting:  If(Param("prmScreen")="ParticipantDirectLinkTesting",Navigate(ParticipantDirectScreen1_1,ScreenTransition.None)

ParticiapantDirectScreen.OnVisible: 

Set(varParticipant,Param("ParticipantName"))

Form on ParticipantDirectScreen: 

First(Filter('LDP Participant Data',Text('Participant Name'.Email)=varParticipant))

Failing url: 

https://web.powerapps.com/apps/[AppID]?prmScreen="ParticipantDirectLinkTesting"&ParticpantName=[my email]

Any ideas on how to make url go to participant screen to thier profile?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: pass people field parameter to URL

@mandy4514 

1. Thank you for pointing out my incorrect spelling. even with it corrected it is still only navigating me to the main page of the app

No problem, just wanted to make sure you weren't chasing a spelling mistake. 

So, first thing is that there is a little bug in the parameters in PowerApps dealing with the first parameter.  The simple workaround for that is to change your URL to something like this:

https://web.powerapps.com/apps/[AppID]?emptyPrm=&prmScreen=ParticipantDirectLinkTesting&ParticpantName=[my email] 

Also note that I removed your quotes from around the ParticipantDirectLinkTesting as you probably will not need them.

2. the app is showing no value for param varParticipant

Put a label on your screen and set the Text property to Param("ParticipantName")  Try again and see if there is a value in your label.  There should be.

3. Where did you intend for this to replace? Form on ParticipantDirectScreen? when I replaced your formula with this one I got an error.

Where ever you had the original First(Filter('LDP ... formula.  First(Filter is really the same as Lookup except that it deals with one record only First(Filter will deal with all records in the filter and then return the first record.  If you're only looking for one record, then just Lookup one record...performance will be better.

4. This is only a test list with 4 items in it. The threshhold set to 2000.

Okay, just checking to make sure there was not some issue with record numbers.

Review the above and see where you are with the parameter.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I don't know if you're having this issue, but I am currently having a problem where the first parameter is always blank on incoming linkings.  For example, if I send ...?A=1&B=2 then A is always blank while B is populated properly.  You might check that just to make sure it's coming in correctly.  If not, then this might be some wider issue than just my own tenant.

I also have a long writeup on just some of the common issues around passing parameters on my blog.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@mandy4514 

A couple things to check/answer:

1) You have a misspelling in your parameter.  The failing URL you listed shows "ParticpantName" and your formula shows "ParticipantName"

2) Are you getting a value in varParticipant?

3) Consider this formula to tighten your app up a bit:

Lookup('LDP Participant Data',
             'Participant Name'.Email = Param("ParticipantName") 
      )

4) How big is your 'LDP Participant Data' datasource and what is your maximum records set to in your Advanced Settings?

Hopefully one of these will uncover the issue.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@RandyHayes 

As to your question:

1. Thank you for pointing out my incorrect spelling. even with it corrected it is still only navigating me to the main page of the app

3. Where did you intend for this to replace? Form on ParticipantDirectScreen? when I replaced your formuala with this one I got an error.

all help is greatly appreciated!

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@mandy4514 

No problem, just wanted to make sure you weren't chasing a spelling mistake. 

So, first thing is that there is a little bug in the parameters in PowerApps dealing with the first parameter.  The simple workaround for that is to change your URL to something like this:

https://web.powerapps.com/apps/[AppID]?emptyPrm=&prmScreen=ParticipantDirectLinkTesting&ParticpantName=[my email] 

Also note that I removed your quotes from around the ParticipantDirectLinkTesting as you probably will not need them.

Put a label on your screen and set the Text property to Param("ParticipantName")  Try again and see if there is a value in your label.  There should be.

3. Where did you intend for this to replace? Form on ParticipantDirectScreen? when I replaced your formula with this one I got an error.

Where ever you had the original First(Filter('LDP ... formula.  First(Filter is really the same as Lookup except that it deals with one record only First(Filter will deal with all records in the filter and then return the first record.  If you're only looking for one record, then just Lookup one record...performance will be better.

Okay, just checking to make sure there was not some issue with record numbers.

Review the above and see where you are with the parameter.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,756)