cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post Patron
Post Patron

patch all record titles

I have recently imported a database in from Access.  All relationships are intact.  I want to make the title of the parent record be a mix of name and surname and ID#.  I can do this in powerapps but obviously just does one record at a time, I have 3000 items.  I have researched patch but cannot seem to get it right.  Is this where i should be looking?  Be grateful to some help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @StuCundy ,

You can do a ForAll Update based on a Collection made from the list, but this is limited to 2000 items at a time unless you can collect it in more than one filtered batch. If you have a text or numeric field that will split this, it can be done with a ClearCollect on the first and a Collect on the second OR your could do it in batches as the code below will take a fair while to run and you need to be aware of SharePoint API call throttling limits.

So assuming you can do this, the syntax would be something like

ForAll(
   RenameColumns(
      YourCollectionName,
      "ID",
      "IDRef"
   ),
   UpdateIf(
      YourListName,
      ID=IDRef,
      {YourNewField:Given&Surname&ID}
   )
)

I have another couple of non-Power Apps solution for one-off jobs like this as well if it interests you, involving Excel and Access respectively.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @StuCundy ,

You can do a ForAll Update based on a Collection made from the list, but this is limited to 2000 items at a time unless you can collect it in more than one filtered batch. If you have a text or numeric field that will split this, it can be done with a ClearCollect on the first and a Collect on the second OR your could do it in batches as the code below will take a fair while to run and you need to be aware of SharePoint API call throttling limits.

So assuming you can do this, the syntax would be something like

ForAll(
   RenameColumns(
      YourCollectionName,
      "ID",
      "IDRef"
   ),
   UpdateIf(
      YourListName,
      ID=IDRef,
      {YourNewField:Given&Surname&ID}
   )
)

I have another couple of non-Power Apps solution for one-off jobs like this as well if it interests you, involving Excel and Access respectively.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (24,190)