cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

populate a text box from a field in a record in a data table

In powerapps, how do you populate a text box with data from a field in a record in a data table or data from table itself? It seems like it should be easy but it doesn't appear to be. I just want to populate a text box from a datatable or table, but I can't seem to find a solution to this.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Re: populate a text box from a field in a record in a data table

You could try something like this:

Create a label. In properties, set Text to:

LookUp(datasource, name = "fred", namefield)

or to get the first row and attribute from table:

First(datasource).attribute

Sean

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I found lookups to be especially slow on forms, I found the best way to deal with it was to load my data into a collection at startup, addcolumns to the collection with the new column formula set to the lookup, that way the data is there waiting and the form doesn't have to do the lookup each time it is loaded

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

You need to select a single record from your db table first. This could be done by using a gallery to easily list the records and once a record is selected, use the gallery.selected.value to populate the text field.

Another route would be using a form. This form's source would be the gallery and therefore, a record view at a time. Each time you select a new record in your gallery the form and its fields will repopulate with the record you have selected.

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

You could try something like this:

Create a label. In properties, set Text to:

LookUp(datasource, name = "fred", namefield)

or to get the first row and attribute from table:

First(datasource).attribute

Sean

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great suggestion and it worked!  Thanks for your help.

What was weird is that when i first put in the code, it indicated that there were errors in my entry.  It seemed that there was a bit of a delay in it evaluating my text, and eventually it indicated my code (based on your recommendation) was correct. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to take a look at your solution.  I tried the other one here and for my purposes it worked quite well.  Your solution however seems more elegant and will work in other situations. I'm going to practice working with it and I think I'm going to hit a few places where your solution might be the bette way to go.

I love/hate working with brand new software! 

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I'm pretty new to PowerApps too. I've been working with it for the past 3 months. Just keep your eyes out on forums for others with similar issues if you run into trouble. 

All the best!

Sean

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You'll run into the slowness sometimes.. some of my onselect formulas are 50 lines long and it can take around a minute to correct any errors and format/colour text correctly
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran into that problem also, especially when the form opens for the first time. Still learning about efficient design in Powerapps

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I found lookups to be especially slow on forms, I found the best way to deal with it was to load my data into a collection at startup, addcolumns to the collection with the new column formula set to the lookup, that way the data is there waiting and the form doesn't have to do the lookup each time it is loaded

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

For instance:
Addcolumns(ClearCollect(collection name,datasource),"NewColumnName",Lookup(datasourceb,field=datasource.field,valueyouwant))
Set your form data source to the collection and use patch to patch the datasource and collection together.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,819)