cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerAppUserCan

"Add Picture" control behaves differently on iPhone than on desktop browser - the loaded image does not have EXIF data

I have created an API (an Azure Function) that receives a request whose header has Content-Type: multipart/form-data. The body of the request has an image. The response returns the longitude and latitude using this NuGet package https://www.nuget.org/packages/MetadataExtractor/ 

I tested the API using Postman by sending an image. I monitor the log in the Azure function.  It works fine. I get the latitude/longitude.

I created a custom connector that uses that API in PowerApps. i created a Canvas app that uses the that custom connector. I added a screen with Add Picture control in it. In the OnSelect event, I call the API.

I ran the app on my iPhone then monitored the logs (on the Azure portal) while the call is made. The function executes without errors but the Exif metadata is missing from the uploaded image.

If I email the same image from my iPhone to my desktop and load it on my desktop using Postman to the Azure Function, I get the exit metadata.  If I navigate to https://make.powerapps.com/ and open the application in the desktop browser and load the image from my PC, I get back the response with the latitude and longitude.

In summary the same image file if loaded on iPhone using the "Add Picture" control does not carry the Exif metadata but if I load it on my desktop or if I post it using Postman to the same API it has the Exif metadata.  

Any idea why would the "Add Picture" control behave differently on iPhone than on desktop browser?

--- update

The control behaves differently per device.

On an Android v 9, if I add the photo directly from the camera, it brings the Longitude/Latitude but not the date.

On iPhone 5 SE IOS 15.1, if I upload a photo to Google drive and then select to take the photo from “Choose File” I get the longitude, latitude, and date. But if I take the same photo directly from iPhone camera or photos library, I do not get any Exif data.

Is this a bug in PowerApps or is there a setting that enables consistent outcome?

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,412)