cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

"An entry is required or has an invalid value" error with SharePoint list

Hi! I started experiencing a weird issue with my production level canvas PowerApp around month ago. Before that the same app worked like a charm. What it does it handles my customer's recruiting process through SharePoint List based implementation with canvas PowerApp. The app itself contains quite complex logic but the error I'm receiving comes from simple save scenario.

Each recruitment process is an individual SharePoint list item. The status of process is based for one SharePoint list column and based for this status end users are able to fill recruitment process information splitted to multiple PowerApp screens. These screens contains a standard form control and selected set of list columns which are submitted back to SharePoint through SubmitForm() function.

SubmitForm() can be executed in two different ways:

1) Separate Save-button

SubmitForm() is called in "OnSelect" event of this separate button. Saving always works whenever the form is valid (required fields are filled)

OnSelect()

-----------

Set(ShowLoading, true); // Show my custom loading screen

Refresh('My Data'); // Refresh my SharePoint data connection

SubmitForm(BasicInfo); // Submit form

Set(ShowLoading, false) // Remove my loading screen

2) SubmitForm() is called in OnHidden event of the screen in case customer navigates away from screen through navigation and doesn't press the save button separately. This scenario started to fail randomly with "An entry is required or has an invalid value" error on some fields of the form. Strange thing is that usually a second try is successful with exactly the same valid data added to fields which are failing at the first try.

OnHidden()

-----------

If(Form.Unsaved && form.Valid, // Check for unsaved changes and validity of the form to avoid unnecessary saves

Set(ShowLoading, true); // Show my custom loading screen

Refresh('My Data'); // Refresh my SharePoint data connection

SubmitForm(BasicInfo); // Submit form

Set(ShowLoading, false) // Remove my loading screen

)

I'm starting to run out of options - Already tried these steps based on forum discussions:

- Deleted and re-added the problematic form on screen

- Deleted and re-added the whole data connection on background

- Made sure there is no required fields on SharePoint list in background (Required fields are defined in PowerApp forms only)

- Enabled/Disabled "Delayed Load" preview/experimental feature

- Made sure there shouldn't be any other errors in place (like said error is random and saving works usually with second try and with separate save-button)

What next? Like said there are only minor changes done to PowerApp itself and this behavior started around month ago after application has been working months in production without issue.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: "An entry is required or has an invalid value" error with SharePoint list

How long has this app been published? Have you republished it in the past 4-5 months? If you haven't, you should republish your production apps every 4-6 months. Sometimes errors can randomly happen, and republishing updates the apps and lets them take advantage of latest platform enhancements.

How frequently is the app used?

Highlighted

App has been published since February 2020. This was thought to be the first set of changes after the initial launch. Since we have roadmap and development needs for the app anyway there will be need for "continuous republishing" so we can get the platform updates and enhancements published also. App is used daily/weekly basis.

Highlighted

Hi! I'm still struggling with this one...

When the SubmitForm() againts SharePoint list is called from PowerApps screen OnHidden event, the data connection is unstable. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Second try with same values (user just received error) may work just fine. The error is always "An entry is required or has an invalid value" with 5-6 different types of fields in edit form without any known reason. Like in original description the SubmitForm() called through the separate button OnSelect event always works without issues.

I have tried following actions proposed by these forums without success:

- Republishing of App to get latest PowerPlatform enhancements

- Deleted and re-added the problematic form on screen

- Unlocked problematic fields from form controls

- Deleted and re-added the whole data connection on background

- Made sure there is no required fields on SharePoint list in background (Required fields are defined in PowerApp forms only)

- Enabled/Disabled "Delayed Load" preview/experimental feature

- Made sure there shouldn't be any other errors in place (like said error is random and saving works usually with second try and with separate save-button)

Any ideas how to continue?

Highlighted

To complete this thread and maybe save time from rest of you guys...

My issue is most probably related to application logic itself. The fact is Screen OnHidden and OnVisible events are asynchronous operations - at least the OnHidden is. This means when I'm navigating away from screen the new screen OnVisible event seems to be taking place before the original screen OnHidden event completes and this is probably the cause of issue. The values in original screen are not there anymore when SubmitForm takes place. The separate Save-button works since it just submits the information and stays in the same screen context.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,169)