cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cioffi
Frequent Visitor

"Couldn't download the file" error from Attachments box in Power App from Teams, ok on Web

Hi,

My Power App is loaded on a Teams tab.    Today, when I try to download a file from an attachments box in the app I get the error, "Couldn't download the file".  The data source is in a Microsoft Lists with attachments enabled.  The attachment box for uploads in Teams works fine and the files get added to the list records.

This was working fine on Monday in Teams, selecting a file went automatically to my Downloads folder.  I made no changes to the app between Monday and Friday.  When I open the Power App on the web, everything works fine, and attachments download as expected in a browser.

One post suggested removing the app from Teams, then adding back in as a new tab.  I tried that, and nothing changed.  I also went into the app to refresh the data sources, but that did not change the behavior in Teams. 

screenshot-coldnt-download-the-file-error.png

Any thoughts on what could be going on or other troubleshooting steps I can take?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
cioffi
Frequent Visitor

As of May 6, 2021, Microsoft has fixed the issue of the download error in Teams when selecting a file from the attachment box.  There is now a new Teams dialog notice that pops up indicating it is downloading to your  computer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
cioffi
Frequent Visitor

The issue is only with the Windows Desktop Teams app.  If I open the Power App in a browser for Teams, the attachment downloads work fine, no error.

niyeru
Frequent Visitor

I also encountered this issue. Is there a fix to this? My possible workaround would be getting the url of the attachment and use the launch command but I am still looking for a way to get the url... 

cioffi
Frequent Visitor

There is no solution yet.  Not sure if something that happened with a Windows 10 security update or Teams desktop app update.  In terms of getting a url for the file, the only way I know how to do that is if the attachments are stored in a SharePoint library, then you can use Power Automate to get the file link.  Hoping there may be a fix coming from Microsoft on the desktop app, or at least an explanation.  It all worked fine about a week ago.  

niyeru
Frequent Visitor

Hopefully. For now, I used power automate to get me the attachment url and made a hyperlink text on the powerapp so the user can download them easily.

FarrinD

Hi all,

I am having this issue as well with my embedded PowerApp on the Teams Desktop app. This seemed to be working a couple of weeks ago but now I also get the "Couldn't download the file" error message; however, on the web version of the app, it works perfectly. Has there been any more traction on this issue?

FarrinD_0-1618326013849.png

cioffi
Frequent Visitor

There is no fix yet from Microsoft on the desktop Teams app.  Seems to also be a similar issue with iPhone and Android phone platforms.  

cioffi
Frequent Visitor

As of May 6, 2021, Microsoft has fixed the issue of the download error in Teams when selecting a file from the attachment box.  There is now a new Teams dialog notice that pops up indicating it is downloading to your  computer.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call? Check out the recording here!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (27,947)