Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

reusing a screen

Hello

I have a possibly strange question.

In my Canvas app form with my data source as SPO I have PartAUser1, PartABUser1, PartABCUser1 fields with lots more around 15 for each user, but then I have the same fields for User2 through to User6.

I've set up the screen for User1 fields and renamed them and set up the form the way i want it to work and I wanted to know if there is a clever way of not having to create a blank screen and rename all my fields correctly again for each user fields, but rather duplicate the screen and map the fields to User2 fields. Is this the best option or is there any other way. 

The fields on my screen will be named exactly the same for when a user comes to the screen (of course they will be written to different columns in SPO), as they are completing the same questions.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @G99 ,

Yes - as long as all the fields in the data sources have exactly the same field names and field types, you can do it with a Variable in the DataSource of the form. Using a Variable name vUserName (you can call it whatever you want) set to the user's name and data sources User1ListUser2List, and User3List, (and using a well-known family) the DataSource of your form would be

Switch(
   vUserName,
   "Homer Simpson", User1List,
   "Lisa Simpson", User2List,
   "Bart Simpson", User3List
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted

Hi @WarrenBelz 

They don't have the exact same field names, as i needed to create multiple fields to store multiple user input

Highlighted

Hi @G99 ,

The easiest solution, which I use regularly is to have multiple forms on the one page with the visibility set according to which one you need.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted

That's an interesting idea and would like to know how I do that, although for this scenario i presume i would have to still set up each form, with its correct fields mapped to the correct SPO column

I've manually done half, as need to produce something soon, but hoping there is better way of not having to manually configure the same screen multiple times, just because the datacards point to different columns on each screen

Highlighted

Hi @G99 ,

Not sure you wanted a response to this other than to confirm you do have to set up each one.

However you can copy and paste a form, keeping anything that is the same (but changing the data source) and just adding the cards that are different.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,581)