cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mclatch

search on SP lookup column

I am very new to PowerApps - trying to create my first app.

An app that will allow me to check in/out and track equipment using a barcode scanner.

I have the scanner part working but cannot get the app to find the code (scanned or typed) and retrieve the record.  

The default value for Items in BrowseGallery1 =

SortByColumns(Filter([@'Equipment Circulation'], StartsWith(Title, TextSearchBox1.Text)), "Title", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

When I change Title to 'Full Name' it finds records with items in the SP list checked out to that person so I know the data connection is working.  However I am wanting to search based on the 5-8 digit code of the item.  That code is in a lookup field in SP called Equipment ID Lookup.  When I try to replace Title with 'Equipment ID Lookup' I get a message "invalid argument type (record). Expected a text value."  So I'm assuming that the problem is with the lookup field in SP.  

I thought it would be simple to have 2 lists.  One is the master list of each piece of inventory and the second list to track the circulation of each item (1 to many).  Can't seem to figure it out.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JacoDeRooij
Helper II
Helper II

@mclatch 

I hope I can help you.

You can use the Text() function around the ‘Equipment Lookup ID’. It converts the value to a text. 

I have to try it myself to be completely sure. But I think you can give this a try. 

I’ve you have any further questions please let me know.

kind regards

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JacoDeRooij
Helper II
Helper II

@mclatch 

I hope I can help you.

You can use the Text() function around the ‘Equipment Lookup ID’. It converts the value to a text. 

I have to try it myself to be completely sure. But I think you can give this a try. 

I’ve you have any further questions please let me know.

kind regards

View solution in original post

Thanks!  That worked. I'm now getting a delegation warning though with no search results. Presumably because I have about 800 items in inventory.  I will have to rethink this.    

In the setting of PowerApps you can set the delegation limit which is default 500 to max 2000. Unless there will be more than 2000 records in the datasource you can set this to 2000. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,485)