cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

sort with distinct

Is it possible to combine in one function DISTINCT and SORT? And how can it be possible to create a Collection using distinct?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

You would have to nest it. 

The Items property of a gallery or dropdown would look like:

Sort(Distinct(datasource,column to find distinct records), column for sorting, ascending/descending)

You would collect what you want and the formula above would sort it after the fact.

That said, with the April 29 update to PowerApps, your datasource may not load entirely if you use both of those functions together since they have worked in "delegation."

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

I tried a lot, and come to this:

Sort(Distinct(Source,Column),Result)

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Sort(Distinct(Source,Column),Result) - Worked good for me. I additionally added the if statement  to switch the order.

Sort(Distinct(Source,Column),Result,If(SortDescending1, Ascending,Descending))

Thanks!

Highlighted

Where is the documentation for this? I cannot find how I should have known "Result" would just allow it to sort the column I performed the Distinct() operation on. It would not work with the column name. Required "Result" to be there.

Highlighted

@EdHansberry 

I found it in the 3rd sentence of the Distinct function documentation highlighted in bold  😋  In my opinion though it should just be in a column called value like everything else.  Why can't life be simple?

Link to Distinct function documentation

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-distinct

Screenshot:

Untitled.png

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted

Thank you! I was looking in the SORT documentation. 

Highlighted

@EdHansberry 

Ahhhhhh. That's why.  I understand now.  I think there's a few other functions that behave this way.  Split and Concatenate are two examples.  I can't recall if there's any others at this moment.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."  

Highlighted

For me the way that works is:

Distinct(Sort(Filter('Source';true).Column;Column;Ascending);Column)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,273)