cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thaJoe_
Level: Powered On

stop resizing on opening virtual keyboard

Hi guys,

is it possible to prevent an app from resizing when the virual keyboard opens?

I currently have a responsive app which works pretty well but when I rotate the tablet to landscape and then focus on a text input field the whole app (form) shrinks vertically because the virtual keyboard was opened. as a result all input fields on the form are shrinking too and it´s not possible to read what i´ve entered.

Locking the aspect ratio is not an option in my case, because I need the app to be responsive.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Joe

4 REPLIES 4
Power Apps Staff tahoon
Power Apps Staff

Re: stop resizing on opening virtual keyboard

Are you using an Android or iOS device? In general, there isn't a way to prevent the screen from resizing.

thaJoe_

Hi, 

in general an android device (samsung) will be running the app in chrome mobile but I could also reproduce it on a surface.

cheers 

Joe 

Power Apps Staff tahoon
Power Apps Staff

I would recommend locking aspect ratio. Unlocked aspect ratio is not a true "responsive" mode and there are some issues with layout like the one you encountered. There is no control over how different controls are stretched and positioned.

It might be better to create different designs for portrait and landscape. For example, in landscape, a form has a better layout with two or three columns whereas in portrait, a form works best with a single column. It is tedious to create two apps that have the same functionality but it is the only option right now, since there is no way to customize an app to have a different layout based on screen size.

thaJoe_

OK, thanks for your help. I was hoping for not being forced to create different designs but I guess there´s no easy way to prevent it. 

Thank you.

Joe

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,314)