cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4thGeneration
Frequent Visitor

suggestions for switching data sources

Complete novice here.

I built my PowerApp using Google Sheets as the data source and have since come to regret it. I'd now like to migrate over to a different, more legitimate data source. 

What do you guys have for suggestions to use? Something that isn't too difficult to setup and manage, migrate data over from Google Sheets, and most importantly is FAST. PowerBI integration is a bonus.

Also, how different is the syntax for other data sources, or is the syntax largely the same?

Thanks for any help. 

3 REPLIES 3
ericonline
Community Champion
Community Champion

I like using Sharepoint lists as a datasource/backend for my PowerApps. Its very easy to setup and manage (so far). I started a personal O365 Business Essentials account for $5/mo and I'm up and running.  There are some issues with larger data sets (search for "PowerApps delegation" to learn more) that you will be hit with when using Sharepoint. So be aware of that. I'd stay away from Excel + OneDrive because of delagation limits as well.

I'm now looking into an SQL backend. This stretches the "Low/No-code" benefits of PowerApps because now you need to know how to manage SQL. 

Hope this helps

ericonline
Community Champion
Community Champion

Rick72
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @4thGeneration,

I think two options stand out because of your remark about easy setup/manage:

• Common Data Service
  • SharePoint

, though complex solutions can be created with them too.

Speed is relative and it depend on multiple facors. Although I am not familiar with the Google suite, I just cannot imagine it is really slow. 

For migrating data, export to xlsx/csv seems the starting point.

I advice you not to use OneDrive for data storage.

Question:

Why do you regret it?

Robot Happy Rick

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,342)