Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

tab key to jump the next form field on mobile

Hi all,

On a mobile phone, I look for a way to jump to the next form field using the keyboard (tab key).

Thanks for help.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: tab key to jump the next form field on mobile

I haven't tried it from a mobile device but on a computer you use the TabIndex for this.

It is found on the input field, under advanced at the very bottom.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@Tums 

@Tums wrote:

Hi all,

On a mobile phone, I look for a way to jump to the next form field using the keyboard (tab key).

Thanks for help.

Like @rebeccas said, the TabIndex is part of it.

You @Tums  are asking about the key to press on the mobile device - you may be asking because Mobile Devices do not have a Tab Key in Native Mobile Keyboard.

We believe the answer to your direct query is that depending how you set up TabIndex, that you press the Native Mobile  Keyboard's "Enter" "Go" or "Submit"  key to do this.

If you set up the TabIndex correctly, it "tabs" to the next one from mobile, on pressing the mobile keyboard's "Enter" "Go" or "Submit"  key (rather than the usual behavior of either "Submit" or "Do Nothing") - so probably the actual Native Mobile Key you are looking for is the Native Mobile  Keyboard's "Enter" "Go" or "Submit", or other equivalent key that means "Submit" in the Mobile Device Keyboard.

Also, depending how you set up TabIndex, it's possible arrow keys or other relevant keys will show up correctly, and you'd use those.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you for your responses.

I just tried to set tabIndex value for each form field from 1 to 5 (as I have 5 fields).

I tried it form my Android mobile phone.

No "tab" key show up. And "return" key has no action. Neither submit, neither focus change.

When filling a standard HTML form on a website, if there is a field after the one the focus is set, the Return key is replace by a Tab key.

It would be nice to have the same behavior on PowerApps forms.

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

@Tums 

That should have worked... try making sure it is saved and published, and also, sometimes if the blue notification in PowerApps mobile didn't show up, the updated version wasn't used. Try if it works now. You've also made sure your TabIndex isn't zero, so that isn't it. Otherwise, if it still didn't work, would not be sure right now what is causing it not to work.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have double checked TabIndexes, saved and published the app again. I got the blue banner on the mobile device.

No change.

I will try on another mobile device.

Thank you for help 😉

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

How did this turn out? Did you resolve your issue? I have a Samsung S10, the go button does nothing. but tabbing on the computer works perfectly.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Microsoft support confirmed that this function is not yet supported on mobiles.

I don't know if they consider to add this function.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@Tums Thanks for the reply. I can live with that, at least I know I'm not missing something that does exist. I'll have to keep my eyes open for when this functionality does become available. 

Best regards,

-JG

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hello @Tums  🙂

I have achieved similar functionality by using the SetFocus function. As an example, I make a background transparent "mask" for an area I want to "jump" to. Use a button control as the "mask" then from elsewhere on a scrollable canvas you can have a button that does just this (set the OnSelect property) 

SetFocus(YourMaskNameHere)

This will "jump" you to that control. It's not a perfect solution, as the SetFocus won't allow for controls within forms, so you would have to make your own form using input fields and the patch function, but it could be done that way, and then use a button that cycles through the TabIndex property via a variable.

I hope this might give you some ideas, stay safe and happy coding!

-SCM

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,264)