Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ByPA
Helper I
Helper I

thousand

Hi,

My app is currently reading from an Excel spreadsheet. 

I am trying to display the options in a combo box as a number with a the thousand separator. Currently it is like this:

ByPA_0-1634528157686.png

I have tried going to the Excel spreadsheet to change the format to number but the app is not picking the field up...

May I know what I am missing please?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @ByPA ,

Depending on where you are getting these items from it may be as simple as having the items as 

["500,000","1,000,000"]

however if you want to get a number back, you will need to use

Value(ComboBoxName.Selected.Value)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @WarrenBelz 

I am currently getting the values from an Excel where the cells have been formatted as "General". The apt currently is working quite fine but just the display in the Combo boxes. 

Actually, I am quite hesitant to change the format of the cells in the Excel as that would mean I would have to change some lookup formulas in the app after PowerApps pick it up, assuming that it does in the first place. 

I am trying to see if there can be a cosmetic change to the choices in the combo boxes.

May I know where to type this in please?

Value(ComboBoxName.Selected.Value)

Hi @ByPA ,

I assume that is the Update of the card in which case it seems correct. It is the Items of the combo box you would need to change to get the format I mentioned, however you cannot to this to a table - at least not easily. Two things I would suggest - leave the format as it is - at least you are getting numbers to work with.

Secondly, if you have access to SharePoint, keep your Excel use to calculations - as a Database it makes a good Spreadsheet . . . you will have a lot more issues than this if you are going to use Excel for anything either slightly large or mildly complex.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

ByPA
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @WarrenBelz  

I just changed the contents in my Excel to e.g. 500,000, and changed the format type in Excel to "Text"...it looks to be working now...

Still testing...thank you for the suggestions.

Hi @ByPA ,

Yes Excel does not play nicely with numbers or dates at times - I still suggest you consider SharePoint if you have access to it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,815)