cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

tracking what fields have been edited

I have a requirement to track when an item has been changed (tracking this in a separate sharepoint list called Actions).  I currently do this by using the patch function after the on success of the form submission to the main list, I patch through for example that person X  updated field [abc] from [acme] to [not acme] etc...  works well when I'm only tracking what the change was.

However I now have the requirement to track not what was updated (ie. acme to not acme) BUT just which field was updated? so show that field [abc] and [def] and [ghi] were updated.. don't need what they were updated to. just that they were the ones edited... and trying to figure out the best way to do this?

I had thought that I could add a text box where I added all the fields as they were updated (concatenating them) and then used that box in my patch.. which would be fine if I could figure out how to do that !  or if there is a better way to do it?  The fields that are updated can just be listed in one field with a comma or other  separator..

Hopefully you can understand what I mean !    Any suggestions on best approach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

@vfdd , the version history on a list shows which fields were changed and what they were changed to along with who changed it and when.

2021-01-16_15h23_44.png

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Helper V
Helper V

I created an update tracking table in SQL and whenever a change is submitted, I patch the fields that suffered a change onto the table with the exact same button the users use to submit the change

Helper III
Helper III

thanks @jbrit2020 unfortunately I was trying to keep it all within powerapps and maybe a little less complex solution?  

Helper III
Helper III

Any other suggestions?

Super User
Super User

If the item is a SharePoint list form then there might be simple solution. You can go into the List setting and under Versioning turn on version control. This will allow you to store and track items whenever they are changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @Jeff_Thorpe  unfortunately I don't think that will work for me because as far as I know versioning just tells me which record has been updated not which field within that record?

Super User
Super User

@vfdd , the version history on a list shows which fields were changed and what they were changed to along with who changed it and when.

2021-01-16_15h23_44.png

View solution in original post

Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @Jeff_Thorpe  not sure how I take that info and patch it over to my actions list?  but it's actually ok because I've found a work around using checkboxes !  in the on change property I tick a check box then I use the text of that checkbox to update the actions list 🙂  thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (68,593)