Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

update context and restrict the records that appear based on user

Hi,

I am a HRBP and I would love to create an app to help us with the automation of our processes especially wrt the people we partner. Would like to know how to create a function that only let's people matched to a certain HRBP show on the list.

E.g we have an excel sheet with a long list of name and on another column have the names of 3 HRBPs matched to all those names. Let's say the HRBPs are Jane, Joe and Ada . I want a situation whereby when Jan signs into the app, she only sees the names that she has been assigned and same for other HRBPs. How do I go about this?

Cheers,

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: update context and restrict the records that appear based on user

You can use the User() function to identify the current user and then filter the list by using the Filter function.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thank you for your reply. please where do I put this function? on the screen that generates the list of employees or on the additional screen I create for signing into the app? or since it's powerapps is there any need to have an additional sign in thing? it's all confusing. Thank you.

Cheers,

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

It is confusing at the beginning.  Let's take it step by step.

Do you have a gallery that shows the list of employees on the "screen that generates the list of employees"?

If so, what is currently the gallery's Items property?

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Aj01,

>You could create separate sheets for each HRBP in Excel. Then format the sheets as table.
>Create a connection to the tables, add three screens for each HRBP, set the data source to each table.
>On Screen1, add a Button, set its OnSelect property as:
If(User().FullName="Jane",Navigate(Screen2,ScreenTransition.Fade),User().FullName="Joe",Navigate(Screen3,ScreenTransition.Fade),User().FullName="Ada",Navigate(Screen4,ScreenTransition.Fade)

If you don’t know the correct user name, please add a Text box control, and set its Text property as: User().FullName to get it.

Please feel free reply if you need more help.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I found a way based on login name or email. When you open the app rhe galley selects only the records based on your filter. Eg filter(table, email1=user().email)

Wher email1 is a column in your table. You can do the same for user name.name=user().fullname
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I should add this is in the items property to the gallery

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,605)