cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mim
Helper I
Helper I

what's the best option to Build this app ?

Hello

I am reasonably well with PowerBI but 0 experience with PowerApps.

we have requirement for new business app. 

1 Table with some existing data and the user need to input new fields, data completed and comments

• The user can not add new rows just edit those two fields
  • Row level security, users see only rows assigned to them
  • I need to have the option to access that data from PowerBI for reporting
  • I need to see when the edits were done and by whom
  • The total rows should be around 3000 and maybe 40 users

We have Office 365 E5 and extra license for PowerApps should not be a problem,

What do recommend, should we use CDS or a SQL server , canvas or model driven, the app is internal only

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JisungHan
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @mim ,

I would recommend to use the following options

1. Dataset: SharePoint list

- The data record limit on SharePoint is 5000 records but your business requirement is 3000 records which is good

- The SharePoint list is eligible for standard license which is included in E5 license

- CDS or a SQL server require Premium license that should be paid license (PowerApps App plan or User plan)

2. Canvas App in PowerApps

- The Canvas App can create CRUD(Create/Read/Update/Delete) from the SharePoint list (In your business scenario, remove the Create feature in the form)

- After receiving the SharePoint list collection(dataset), using filter expression, it shows right records only based on current logged on user

- Using form submission or PATCH expression, the user may update the SharePoint list item correctly and the list fields has "Modified by" field that shows who updated the field

3. SharePoint list data is fully supported for Power BI

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jisung Han

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JisungHan
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @mim ,

I would recommend to use the following options

1. Dataset: SharePoint list

- The data record limit on SharePoint is 5000 records but your business requirement is 3000 records which is good

- The SharePoint list is eligible for standard license which is included in E5 license

- CDS or a SQL server require Premium license that should be paid license (PowerApps App plan or User plan)

2. Canvas App in PowerApps

- The Canvas App can create CRUD(Create/Read/Update/Delete) from the SharePoint list (In your business scenario, remove the Create feature in the form)

- After receiving the SharePoint list collection(dataset), using filter expression, it shows right records only based on current logged on user

- Using form submission or PATCH expression, the user may update the SharePoint list item correctly and the list fields has "Modified by" field that shows who updated the field

3. SharePoint list data is fully supported for Power BI

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jisung Han

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (68,828)