cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdRGray
Level: Powered On

128 character text limit bug when publishing data from Excel to CDS without any error or message

I have found a major bug with PowerApps Common Data Service (CDS) and the very handy Excel data entry capability provided to Excel 2016.  I was very happy with how easy it was to load data into a custom entity by using the feature to open the entity within Excel, enter the data into Excel, and then publish.  But then I identified a major bug/flaw/limitation.  If I had more than 128 characters in a cell within Excel, the Publish action results in a truncation of the text to 128 characters or less.

Please fix this!!!  Everyone within our organization (and probably others) really like the ability to publish data to the CDS from within Excel, but the limit to 128 is not good.  What is even worse, there is NO WARNING or error message or anything that the text was truncated.

So two request.  

1. Please do not limit the text to 128.  Please support the full size available within an Excel cell.

2. Please provide an error, or warning message or at least the ability to control what should happen within Excel when publishing data from a cell that is larger than the field within the Entity of the CDS supports.

Other than this rather significant issue, I really like the CDS and it's interaction capability with Excel.  That is very powerful, I just would like it to work.  Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
EdRGray

Re: 128 character text limit bug when publishing data from Excel to CDS without any error or message

Actually, this is worse than I thought.  I created a simple new Entity with three text fields.  One 128, Two 512, Three 1024.  It did not matter how I loaded the data; CSV, Excel 2016 Add-In, New application with the PowerApp tool.  ALL approaches resulted in only 128 characters being loaded.  

mr-dang
Level 10

Re: 128 character text limit bug when publishing data from Excel to CDS without any error or message

Hi, when you create a new field for your entity, there is a property for "Max length." If you set it to a number greater than 128, are you able to save and read strings longer than that?

See the blue field in the right hand panel in the picture below:

2017-03-30.png

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
EdRGray

Yes I have tried multiple sizes.  It appears that the 'Max Size' is ignored.  After I set that value, it is retained in the designSampleTestTextSize.jpg,

but it does not work anywhere.  I've tried with CSV load, Excel Add-In within Excel 2016, and a custom application created with from the PowerApps Windows application or from the Web creation..

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @EdRGray,

The Text field definition:

One line of text. The maximum length varies, but it is never more than 128 characters. The string is stored in Unicode format.

From the following documentation:

Entity field data types

Please take a try to use Multiline Text as the data type:

Multiple lines of text. The maximum length varies, but it is never more than 2,048. The string is stored in Unicode format.

And if you would like to customize the length, then please consider submit this as an idea in the PowerApps idea forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

Regards,

Michael Shao

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
EdRGray

I did not see the explanation before now, thanks!  It would be helpful if there was an error if you tried to set the TEXT to greater than 128.

The problem with the multiline is it cannot be included in the 'Search'.  That is major disadvantage.

Yes I would like the ability to control the size of the multiline so that it can be more than the current size.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

PowerApps Monthly Community Call!

Join us next Wednesday for our Demo Extravaganza, October 16, 2019 8am PDT.

firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

FirstImage

Power Platform World Tour

Coming to a city near you

thirdimage

PowerApps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

FourthImage

Join PowerApps User Group!!

Connect, share, and learn with your peers year-round

SecondImage

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 211 members 4,517 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: